-
Status
Not open for further replies.

VashonMopar

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Title says it all. I'm looking for a gas cap for the 71 Duster, as I've got caps from 70 and before, and 72 and up (the ones I don't need). Let me know if you have one or more you're willing to part with. Thanks.

I've acquired a couple caps that I thought would fit '60-'66 but don't and have no way to identify them. Could you mic the od of the pronged insert opposite the prongs (or the ID of your fill neck) and post or even a side by side pic of the various years would help. I have been under a mistaken impression that the caps were all the same from '67-'72.

I have been under a mistaken impression that the caps were all the same from '67-'72.

Here's 3 different style caps to help...

Gas Caps 71 A-Body 004 (Medium).jpg

Title says it all. I'm looking for a gas cap for the 71 Duster, as I've got caps from 70 and before, and 72 and up (the ones I don't need). Let me know if you have one or more you're willing to part with. Thanks.
I believe i have the one you need. Ill contact you later tonight.

Thanks,
Jake-non gold member.

Thanks for the pic showing the differences. I too only have the pre '71 style and the '72 and later style. No '71 sadly.

Had a hard time finding one for my kids '71 Valiant, and when I did they wanted around $100 for one. Couldn't see that happening so I made one of the other styles work with a "little" massaging. Works good, locks in place nicely.

Had a hard time finding one for my kids '71 Valiant, and when I did they wanted around $100 for one. Couldn't see that happening so I made one of the other styles work with a "little" massaging. Works good, locks in place nicely.
What kind of massaging did you do, and which style cap did you massage? I've got examples on both sides (pre and post 71), but the mechanisms look stamped to the cap, so I'm having difficulty imagining removing or modifying them. I was able to get the cap I wanted, but since I've got the others, I would like to have a backup or two.

Well, it's been a little while since I did it, but the kids home, so I went out and grabbed it for some pics. Apparently, according to pic in this thread, I used '72 up cap. I remember disassembling cap, and putting the tang assembly in my press, and gently pressed a piece of thin metal down onto the tangs closest to the cap. They need to be "spread" out farther, from each other, to work properly with '71 neck. This also brings inner tangs closer to each other. I also added O-ring, actually a late model thermostat seal, to help tighten and seal cap. There was definitely some trial and error involved, but it worked out ! One pic is a mock-up pic showing how I pressed out tangs. BTW, two different sellers told me that they have sold several caps to guys that have had theirs stolen at big car shows/events.

Having trouble uploading pics right now, will try again later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back