Gas filler neck to gas tank seal

-

zhandfull

Reaction score
I just purchased a new fill tube to gas tank seal for the 72 Dart part#3404182. It looks a little different than the original. On the new one there seems to be one side with more rubber like a double seal. The parts guy said it was like an additional dust seal they added but I'm wondering if that side should be in the tank or outside the tank as the parts guy suggested with his dust seal comment.

Any installation tips as far as what side goes in tank?

I'm thinking the double seal side goes in the tank shown on the bottom of picture. The part number is on the top side of the seal in the picture I would think that would typically be visible when installed. Probably work fine either way this stuff just bugs me when I don't know for sure.

Attachments

• gas tank seal.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 272
I believe you are correct in the way you are describing how to install. The biggest issue I had was not the installation of the seal but the filler neck. I used a little, very little of 30wt oil to coat the inside of the seal so I could slide the filler neck back into the seal. After numerous attempts to get it to go in and none successful (with it dry). I finally got on here and asked if it was me or had anyone else have the same issue. That was the hardest part of all. If you try to insert it dry it goes about 1/2" to 3/4" in the seal and stops. Then the filler neck is sticking out of your fender and you can't figure out why? Hope this helps

It does go at the entrance to the tank. Once the gasket was in place, I was able to get my filler tube in by twisting it back and forth and turning it while exerting downward pressure. It took about 5 minutes to get it in all the way.

I had the same problem getting the neck in the tank after the seal was installed. My main concern with a dry fit was damaging the new rubber seal. Remembering a little tip from my days working on bicycles and installing handle bar grips. I sprayed the filler neck with some WD40 and that sucker went right in.

Thanks guys

-
Back