gas gauge + blinker

-

kittypancake

Reaction score
I'm having issues w/ left blinker + gas gauge. Whats the best way to get into the dash to check the connectors and wires while minimizing possible damaged from a clumsy oaf?

Usually by pulling the cluster out.
Speedo cable off first, then amp meter from the drivers side end as it's coming out.

And on some of these cars it's easier to just drop the column down

Typical cluster problems vary, but usually at the least involve loose/ corroded connector pins on the PC board.

If you pull it out it's a GREAT time to go through it and make sure everything is OK. How old are these cars, again? My own car had multiple problems

Inspect, repair the harness connector pins, and inspect, repair the harness connector

Clean the copper where the lamps fit, inspect the lamp holders, bend the spring contacts, replace bulbs

Replace the gauge voltage limiter with a modern solid state design.

Replace the nuts on the gauge studs with "real" nuts, and loosen/ tighten them several times to scrub the connection clean.

Install a ground wire pigtail under one of the grounded screws on the PC board. Use a star washer. Make this long enough (a foot) so that you can bolt the wire to something like the column support as you install the cluster.

Use find skochbrite pads, erasers, etc, to clean the copper where electric contacts on the board.

Also on my 67, the brass springy fingers which form the "socket" for the gauge limiter were not making contact with the board. I had to solder jumpers between the spring fingers and the board.

-
Back