Gas gauge question

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys ..
I am currently driving my 68 barracuda without the cluster . I am hoping to drive like this for rest of season (1 month)
I would like to temporarily hook up my original gas gauge. Is this possible to do?
I have good access to the 8 pin connector also.
Here is the back side of the original gas gauge..
Thanks for any advice.

20180927_120626.jpg

20180927_120941.jpg

Hey guys ..
I am currently driving my 68 barracuda without the cluster . I am hoping to drive like this for rest of season (1 month)
I would like to temporarily hook up my original gas gauge. Is this possible to do?
I have good access to the 8 pin connector also.
Here is the back side of the original gas gauge..
Thanks for any advice.

Sure it can be done, but it kinda makes a difference where your voltage regulator for the gauge is, because it will have to be part of the assembly.
You could make a 5 volt regulator for it if need be.

Sure it can be done, but it kinda makes a difference where your voltage regulator for the gauge is, because it will have to be part of the assembly.
So I went ahead and hooked the "I" on gauge (with VR) to the black on 8 pin connector.
Then hooked the "S" on gauge to the blue on 8 pin connector..
Turned key on and the gauge is reading past full ..
I noticed it looks like the "A" on gas gauge is connected to 2 other gauges in cluster..
Is this a ground?
Thanks

So I went ahead and hooked the "I" on gauge (with VR) to the black on 8 pin connector.
Then hooked the "S" on gauge to the blue on 8 pin connector..
Turned key on and the gauge is reading past full ..
I noticed it looks like the "A" on gas gauge is connected to 2 other gauges in cluster..
Is this a ground?
Thanks

On your car I don't know, so you will need to find out which terminals are which.
The A terminal could be power (5 volt) in for all connected gauges, or a ground.
Reading past full usually means the gauge is fully grounded instead of getting the ohms from the sender.

Ok thanks for the advice.
I took a picture of the cluster before removing gauges..
The blue dot is "S" on gas gauge
The pink dot is "I" on gas gauge
The yellow dot is "A" on dash gauge
You can see where the VR is connected to "I" on gas gauge.

20180927_194519.jpg

Question...
In the above picture, is this a capacitor plugged into the "pink" terminal?
I was thinking it was the VR.
After some research I hear the VR is built into the fuel gauge..
Thanks

I believe the voltage regulator you are referring to is actually called the dash regulator not to be confused with the voltage regulator controlling your charging system, also there is a capacitor, I believe it is either to smooth out your gauges or to keep your radio from popping, or both.

Also there are many 5 volt regulators out there that can replace the mechanical version.

-
Back