gas lines

-

bill detamore

Reaction score
hey guys.

I was just under my hood working on cleanming up the engine bay. On the passenger side fender well (inside the bay) I have a line that come up and is under the heater hoses. I tracked it as far as I could as i only had a few minutes and it seems like it runs right next to the gas line. I stopped mid car going back around the middle of the car. Kind of a bulkhead the lines went through. This line in my engine bay is open. Looks like there is a rubber hose that is supposed to be attatched and going somewhere.

I seem to remember there being more than one line coming out of the tank when I had it replaced. I did not do it myself but was there snooping when I could.

Any thoughts on this would be great. Thanks men.

BD

That sounds like the vent line from the tank to the charcoal cannister.

Not all cars have these cannisters, so then you just have a dead end pipe in the engine compartment. I tried to use this line in my car as a fuel return line for EFI. Didn't work, the line was completely caked with rust on the inside from many years of disuse, si I had to bite the bullet and re-pipe! :)

No, the line on '71 and some '70 cars leads from the tank venting arrangement up to the engine compartment rear, where a rubber line connects to the crankcase breather, which on those has small fittings besides the large single to the air cleaner.

If you don't have that special breather and want to look original, prepare to bend over and grab your ankles when trying to buy a used one.

-
Back