Gas mileage and boost poll

Did your fuel economy increase/decrease/stay the same after adding boost?

• Increased

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Decreased

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No change

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
-
My Mazda is multiport injected .

I am trying to think this thruogh….wouldnt the increased efficiency translate into less throttle input required for the same excelleration translating into better mpg ?
There has to e a reason all the modern cars have smaller turbo/supercharged engines . Granted they have direct injection , optimal chambers , bett management systems etc….
The reason is specific output and fuel economy. A smaller turbocharged 4 cylinder can make the 250-300 hp required for a small **** box car to have acceleration on par with most modern cars on the road while also being able to throw down 20-30 mpgs. But they don’t test mileage at heavy throttle inputs. Same with smog. They do all the testing under very light/no load situations where efficiency is high and power output is low.

I have no idea what my mileage would have been before boost was added in the form of a 6/71 on top of a 340 with EFI. My mileage can vary quite dramatically. If I am just cruising at highway speeds of 65 to 70 mph I will get about 14 mpg. If i am having some fun and getting on it my mileage can get as low as 4 mpg. It all comes down to how heavy your foot is.

Jack

-
Back