Gas prices suck,check out my new grocery getter

-

troyintahoe

Reaction score
Gets great gas mileage, was cheap, gets thumbs up everywhere:thumbup:

1971 Sunroof Squareback with a few mods.......

Attachments

• The Square.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 410
Sweet car.
I had a 73 squarback...The Orange Porshe is what my friends called it.
Used it as my surf mobile during the day,and polished it up for night.
Use to park it next to Ferraris,Mercedes,BMW's and Porshes at the clubs in Hollywood,and Beverly Hills,didnt even think twice about it..lol.. Miss that car.

A buddy of mine bought a similar one when we got out licenses in 1980. He always called it a type 3 and I think it was a 74 but don't quote me on that. It was real good on gas which was great cause we never had any money but man was that dude sloooowwww. We ran it through the 1/4 just for grins. Didn't have a stop watch so we just went by the mph which it cranked out a whopping 58 mph in the 1/4. Seemed to be a pretty reliable car. Yours looks to be in real good shape.

That's a nice lookin little car. I have a friend who has one of those. ....and get you some of this. He weighs 672 pounds. Yeah.

A friend of mine had one of those in college. It was actually given to him by his parents when his Mom got a newer one. She had one of those sticky calendars you get from a bank stuck to the dash and we kidded him all the time about his 1/4 mile timer! Actually that car and my Barracuda were the only cars in the parking lot that would start one night when it was -40 F.

I was stationed in Cheyenne for 6 years. It's cold as hell there. I head they have -40 wind chills again, right now.

Gets great gas mileage, was cheap, gets thumbs up everywhere:thumbup:

1971 Sunroof Squareback with a few mods.......

THAT....is really freakin' nice!! Mind if I ask what you paid? I'm guessing that's fairly rare, with the sunroof. A friend of mine has those rims on his '62 slammed black bug.....very cool. IIRC, those had a pretty primitive fuel injection system that most people yanked out and installed those "baby webers" instead. 34 P.I.C.T.'s I think they are.....yours?

I think some old cars sort of make "re-emergences" and are cool all over again.....

What does it have for front turn signals??......looks like they're removed and filled in.

I paid $4,000. It has twin 34mm carb conversion. Turn signals deleted, vw guys think this is a cool mod. Also has early wagon bumpers.

Interior needs work, so i have been working on that, since I bought it.

That's a nice lookin little car. I have a friend who has one of those. ....and get you some of this. He weighs 672 pounds. Yeah.

He weighs as much as my Grampa's old sand car.

Congrats on your new car. Love them old VW:headbang: They make for fun little cruisers.

Attachments

• redripper.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 230
My wife had a light blue '71 with an automatic transmission. It had been converted to factory carbs. I rebuilt the engine and replaced the carbs with new ones but when she sold it I put the crappy old ones back on & kept the good ones. They should still be somewhere in my stash of VW stuff. In the middle of the summer of 1992 we drove that thing halfway across the country loaded so full the suspension was almost bottomed out. Only problem we ever had was some vapor lock. I've still got an air conditioner & a trailer hitch for that car too! I used to be really into VW's. Still have a Karmann Ghia & a lot of odds & ends laying around.

A mate of mine has one...a 73 model....Type 3 wagon....in orange.

-
Back