Gas smell from my 6 banger

-

cudajim

cudajim
Reaction score
I've got a stock 225/auto six banger in the 67 Barracuda. It runs just fine but I get a strong gas smell which I cannot nail down. It's also got a rebuilt 1bbl and a new float. I've jacked it up front and rear and looked for anything dripping or seeping while it's running. I checked back at the tank, near and under the mechanical pump and all gas lines. I cannot find the source of the smell. Any ideas?

My 66 Dart 225 /6 is the same way. No leaks at all and rebuilt carb adjusted to the correct settings. Usually the smell is stronger in the warmer weather when I shut it off after it has been running for a while. My old 65 Dart GT 225 /6 also had the gas smell and no leaks to be found. On both cars the only place I could trace it to was the air filter area, and there was no problems with the heat riser, choke, or flooding down the carb on either car.

Paul

Sometimes soft fuel lines (rubber lines) will develop minute pins holes and miniscure cracks where gas will very slowly seep out of the lines and create a smell that will not go away. Check the line above the tank and everywhere. Sometimes, this can happne to lines off the shelf. It would not be a bd idea to just repalce all soft lines if you can't track it down elsewhere.

Are the lines under the car in the stock locations? Any braided rubber fuel hose in the car?

I had the fuel pump go bad (leak) on my 67. Took awhile to find. Smelled but no visible leak. Gas would evaporate quickly, took a few days to find by starting cold while someone was looking at the pump.A slight bead of gas formed around the crimp of the pump. Just a thought.

I had the fuel pump go bad (leak) on my 67. Took awhile to find. Smelled but no visible leak. Gas would evaporate quickly, took a few days to find by starting cold while someone was looking at the pump.A slight bead of gas formed around the crimp of the pump. Just a thought.

Well I do suspect the pump but it's bone dry while running. Also, all the rubber on the lines are new.

I had a similar deal on my '64 Valiant. It would smell with no trace of gas visible. I thought it was float related so rebuilt the carb. Still smelled. I kept checking hoses and the fuel pump but couldn't locate the source. Finally replaced the fuel pump even though there were no signs of leakage and the smell quit.

Good point in regards to the fuel pump. I'll have to check the fuel pump again on my car too. It makes sense that it could be seeping there especially since it is the original pump. The pumps were probably never intended to be in use for 40+ years on these cars. It also makes sense that it would be easy to miss any seepage due to the location and the amount of grease/oil that collects on the fuel pump over time making it hard to see anything out of the ordinary.

Paul

-
Back