Gas Tank busted

-

barracudadave67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Help!!!
I almost bought the farm last night. I was jacking up my 67 FB at the rear of the axel and I got it up and was just going to start putting the jack stands under the axel ,and boom the car slid off the jack and the jack smashed the gas tank.I had the front wheels chocked so I don't know if the car moved, or I did't have the jack pad centered or what, but it came down just before I went under it. I was going to check the diff lube.

So now I need a new tank. Where would be the Best place to order one from??.
Thanks Guys.
The new site is great!!!.
Barracudadave67

barracudadave67 said:
Thanks Fastback
I'll check them out

Your best bet is a new tank. No sense in using a junkyard sourced tank.... who knows whats been in it! Yeah... $200 is a little more than lunch money, but add in a pump & carb if you toss in a rusted unit.... THEN buying a new tank!

Besides, shiney stuff is cool
icon10-3.gif

New tank on i'ts way from The Paddock, less shipping charges from there to me.The tank is a 67 only with side to side strap.
Like you say I'm glad to be able to order it.
I'm taking the rubber pad on my cornwell tools jack off. I think the pad was the culprit. I htink it got alittle oily and got slippery.Any way i'ts comming off.
See Yall latter gotta go to work (3rd shift).
Barracudadave67

I had that happen once. I just climbed out from under the car. Right after I stood up the jack stand broke and the car slammed in to the ground. Should have played lotto that night.

AdamR said:
I had that happen once. I just climbed out from under the car. Right after I stood up the jack stand broke and the car slammed in to the ground. Should have played lotto that night.

Same here. I had a rear wheel off of my old Monte Carlo and had just pulled the brake drum. I got up to talk to someone and the jack stand cracked.

I now have quality stands rated at I think 12 million tons.... and worth every penny.

Glad to see your getting the tank Dave. Don't forget the filler neck gasket, sending unit gasket, and a fresk lock ring if yours is beat up. Again, inexpensive bits-n-pieces that make a job go smoothly. And while your there, how's the fuel gauge working? Is the ground strap rusted?

Might as well check everything........

Godd morning to everyone

The new tank comes with a sending unit gasket and and lock ring,I'm also getting a filler neck gasket.Hopefully it will be installed by Saturday. The sending unit apears to be working. Incredibly the tank is not leaking!!!.It is really smashed.
I always use a wire from the corner of the tank to a frame rail as a ground strap, installed with two sheet mettle screws.

Barracudadave67

does anybody sell the filler necks? I am in the process of buying a new tank from gastanks.com (quanta whatever who was mentioned first) . They are going to put it on their truck for the GM show in Carlisle next month. (oops...did I just say that outloud?) Saves the shipping and they have a show discount BUT I don't see where they have the filler tubes. My tube looks like Barrnacle Bill the sailor.

Probably Swap meet material, I didn't see anything in Year One Or Laysons cats. Whats wrong with Yours ???.
B.C.D.

Yepper...been there done that. I had my Demon up on 4 stands and was taking the front ones out when the back ones decided to let go. Actually, the car shifted kinda sideways and the back stands went with it. The whole car came down and drove one of the back stands right through the bottom of my tank. Full tank of gas emptied onto the pavement in a matter of seconds...now, that sucked. Luckily, I had a buddy with acres of Mopars and it was nothing to get another tank. This was back in the early 90's...those acres of Mopars are now acres of weeds, trees, and rust piles. :-(

-
Back