Gas tank help

-

amzchad

Reaction score
well i go and pick up my new 72 dart yesterday get it registered and start on my way home

i had problems with the car so i got it towed via flatbed to my uncles house

turns out there is a hole in the gas tank towards the top. not to sure on how big it is or were its at but if its pretty small is there a way to patch it for the time being

gas gauge doesnt work so were is the cheapest ones. Anybody have a tank on here thats in good shape?

im kinda strapped for money now that i just spent it all on the car and getting it registered. its still not at my house. like 200 miles away hahah thank god i have a ride to work well hopefully i have a ride to work

If it is just a small hole you can get a patch kit for it at the auto parts store. I have a complet gas tank set up I could sell you for 40 bucks. It is a little dented up but does not have any holes in it. I don't think any of the companys would ship it though.

I bought a new tank and sending unit from RockAuto for less than $180 I believe it was. Save yourself some grief and get a new sending and tank...don't ask me how I know. If you get a tank make sure it is Spectra made... they make them in Canada not China.

Good info mullin :cheers:Canada made them from the get go, the best.

Looks like they live in California and if he need's it running that would take care of it so he can drive it to work, But heck they could live 2.000 miles away :toothy10:
I don't like changing gas tank's out :thumbdow: more than one time.
But $40 bucks would put him on the road.
Good price to Burntorange70 :thumbrig:

thanks everyone i decided if its patchable i am gonna keep it if not i am gonna order an all new tank and sending unit

were is the cheapest place to get new engine mounts? i need them bad

Chad, sorry to hear about the troubles with the Dart. You know what they say ... "you're buying someone else's troubles." I would have called up the previous owner to let him know hat happened and asked him if there was anything else you should be worried about. I am sure he may have known about this.

Anyway, a new tank would be my call but if the hole is small enough, you can prep it correctly and just use a little JB Weld to patch it until you save up enough money for a new tank.

As for a sending unit, I may have one that you can have that came out of a running Dart. It may need a new sock/filter but those are available at the dealer. If you don't hear from me by Sunday, feel free to remind me.

thanks everyone i decided if its patchable i am gonna keep it if not i am gonna order an all new tank and sending unit

were is the cheapest place to get new engine mounts? i need them bad
Summit had some cheap ones, that had an interlock, in case the rubber seperated last year. Look it up.

Believe it or not, plain old bondo, body filler, whatever you want to call it works.
Years ago, I put a gash in my gas tank backing over a rock in the dark. I was in the middle of nowhere. I called my buddy, who picked me up, and I stayed at his house. (I was going to a party there.) A guy at the party told me about this trick. The next day, he gave me sandpaper (to clean the metal around the repair) and bondo. Let it set up, put gas in and drove it for a week, til I got another tank. The repair was solid and I was tempted to leave it!

What engine do you have in your dart? I got motor mounts for my 318 for $10 for the pair and Advanced auto and they were in stock (gasp!)

-
Back