Gas tank installation 69 cuda fastback

-

jim ayers

fastback fish guy
Reaction score
I bought a 69 cuda where the fuel tank and neck had been removed by a previous owner. I got the replacement tank in with great difficulty (had to bend the flanged ends for clearance) and now i cannot come close to inserting the fuel neck back in. The service manual says i can rotate the neck 180 degrees, insert it in several inches, and rotate it and withdraw it. That doesnt seem to work. I cannot get the filler neck close to going into the tank before wedging against the trunk brace or quarter panel. Any help out there?:(

I bought a 69 cuda where the fuel tank and neck had been removed by a previous owner. I got the replacement tank in with great difficulty (had to bend the flanged ends for clearance) and now i cannot come close to inserting the fuel neck back in. The service manual says i can rotate the neck 180 degrees, insert it in several inches, and rotate it and withdraw it. That doesnt seem to work. I cannot get the filler neck close to going into the tank before wedging against the trunk brace or quarter panel. Any help out there?:(

You can't install the tank and expect to get the filler neck to go in it.
Been there, tried that.

Make sure you have some lube rubbed on the rubber donut in the tank. I had to
drop the tank down so the inlet pipe could be inserted. Need two people for this. Had to turn the tank back and forth to get the filler neck started. I put a piece of 2 x 4 between the filler neck flange and inner fender. This was to
hold the filler neck in place so the back and forth motion would force the neck down into the tank. Without the 2 x 4 block, the neck just kept moving away from the tank. When the neck goes in, push the tank up and have a buddy or the wife install a strap to hold it.

Now you can finish the installation. Make sure your vent is not clogged that
goes to the inside top of the filler neck. Mine was and it cracked my tank.

I have now installed 2 tanks this way and I assure you it works.....still no
piece of cake, but it works.

When I did my Dart, I sort of worked in the neck simultaneously with raising the tank into place. You probably don`t want to lower it down again but it`s quite easy when you do two at once.

When I did my Dart, I sort of worked in the neck simultaneously with raising the tank into place. You probably don`t want to lower it down again but it`s quite easy when you do two at once.

You are correct John.........You did it with less words and it made more
sense.

Thanks

-
Back