Gas tank prep

-

Gumby

Reaction score
What is everybody using to paint a new fuel tank. I'm installing a new tank in my '65 and not sure what to use. Clear coat, paint, bedliner ? Also what to use as a tank pad. I have used roofing paper in the past but am open to suggestions.

What is everybody using to paint a new fuel tank. I'm installing a new tank in my '65 and not sure what to use. Clear coat, paint, bedliner ? Also what to use as a tank pad. I have used roofing paper in the past but am open to suggestions.
I copped a pad from DMT ( I think) looked to be closed cell foam rubber.... I just left mine with the galvanized stuff that came on I didn't feel like messing with it, granted I guarantee you the aftermarket Coatings probably aren't as good as our Factory Coatings were

I use a piece of 30lb felt paper on the top and then spay the whole tank with bed liner.

Degrease, Scott Brite the surface for adhesion.

A coat of Gray auto body Primer Surfacer, 2 coats single stage with hardener, Silver Metallic.

Stands up to gasoline and keeps the surface corrosion at bay. Oh Yeah, looks very nice too.

☆☆☆☆☆

I cleared mine before I installed it. Maybe ten years ago. Still looks like when I pulled it out of the box. Car is garaged and never driven in the rain though .

I used an epoxy sealer, but only because I'd bodged together a sump out of a cake pan and didn't trust my welding. If I had used the tank stock, I wouldn't have bothered with any prep.

Thanks for the ideas about this,I'm still not sure what to do. The choices are endless but I'm leaning towards the bed liner.

-
Back