Gas Tank Questions

-

Road Grabber

Reaction score
New to the A body scene...

Do 1970 Dart Swingers have tank pads between the bodies and the tank?

Any suggestions where to get a stainless tank and sender?

Should the 340 Dart have the 3/8 fuel pick up?

Thank you

Ist.

Do not toss your own sender.
All of the aftermarket senders are very inaccurite. Have yours rebuilt.

2nd

The mats are reproduced

3rd
size of outlet, don't know.

Even the 340 cars just had 5/16” senders and fuel lines

Yep. Like Dana67Dart says:
Definitely save your fuel sender, gasket and lock ring too.
Those are available as aftermarket, but, the units are inaccurate, the gasket is too thin and the spanner nut is too thin and too small.

Any intel intel on who rebuilds senders?

I’ll have to dig through my stuff to locate the ring and gasket.

if not I would think a B body sender ring and gasket would be the same?

Detroit Muscle Technologies sells the correct gasket- right thickness, material etc.

Yep. Like Dana67Dart says:
Definitely save your fuel sender, gasket and lock ring too.
Those are available as aftermarket, but, the units are inaccurate, the gasket is too thin and the spanner nut is too thin and too small.
Interesting...aftermarket lock rings for other brands of cars also don't work!

Chinese crap.
Theyre tolerances in most cases, are not even close.

Chinese crap

Someone has to spec the part... US company!

US companies ordering parts and not doing any quality control.

You get what you order from Chinese CMs as long as you check it. And re check, and check again.

Id like to find out, which greedy US companies are behind this....and expose them!

The new lock rings will work fine. All you need to do is bend the tangs up a little so they will tighten down properly.

Van's in Waupun, Wisconsin has stainless steel fuel tank for your car. I have them in both my '69 and '72. They come with a new lock ring and gasket. Get a lock ring wrench when you order it, inexpensive tool for the purpose.

The new lock rings will work fine. All you need to do is bend the tangs up a little so they will tighten down properly.

Yep, I’ve done this. While I agree it shouldn’t be necessary it’s pretty easy to do. You can actually make them too tight with that adjustment, so there’s plenty of room for adjustments there.

Oh and also, it's not true ALL new sending units are junk. Spectra makes fine products. They are located in Canada on North American soil. They make quality products including sending units, gas tanks, radiators and heater cores.

Yep, I’ve done this. While I agree it shouldn’t be necessary it’s pretty easy to do. You can actually make them too tight with that adjustment, so there’s plenty of room for adjustments there.
I've wondered if they make them like that intentionally because of variances in the actual ring on the gas tank. A kinda "adjustment left to the end user" kinda thing.

Oh and also, it's not true ALL new sending units are junk. Spectra makes fine products. They are located in Canada on North American soil. They make quality products including sending units, gas tanks, radiators and heater cores.

Totally agree with one caveat, the accuracy of the sending units. I believe even Spectra uses a linear wire wrap on the resistor, so with the A-body tank not having a consistent cross section there will be a little inaccuracy there.

I've wondered if they make them like that intentionally because of variances in the actual ring on the gas tank. A kinda "adjustment left to the end user" kinda thing.

Yeah I don’t think it’s really intentional. Just the result of varying thicknesses of the tanks and the lock rings. But I doubt anyone stresses out about getting them perfect since you can adjust them.

Totally agree with one caveat, the accuracy of the sending units. I believe even Spectra uses a linear wire wrap on the resistor, so with the A-body tank not having a consistent cross section there will be a little inaccuracy there.

Yeah I don’t think it’s really intentional. Just the result of varying thicknesses of the tanks and the lock rings. But I doubt anyone stresses out about getting them perfect since you can adjust them.
My argument there is, while they may not be 100% exact, even the stock ones are an approximation. We're talkin about technology that's close to if not 100 years old and it ain't changed much. What's important to me is, when the gauge reads empty. LOL

The quality may be fine but the reostat is not set to the shape of the tank and the gauge.

As for reading good at empty... I would rather know when I have 1/4 tank accurately, (4.5 gallons, about 60 to 70 miles) that gives me time to find a gas station.

There is no good aftermarket, period.

The quality may be fine but the reostat is not set to the shape of the tank and the gauge.

As for reading good at empty... I would rather know when I have 1/4 tank accurately, (4.5 gallons, about 60 to 70 miles) that gives me time to find a gas station.

There is no good aftermarket, period.
I've used several Spectra units and they all worked fine.

-
Back