Gasket matching question

-

rub2stix

Reaction score
Gonna try to gasket match my cylinder heads and Edelbrock Performer (old) 318/360 manifold.... casting 714, very similar to 302.

See pictures below. (I hope they come through, this is my first try at attaching pics.)

First one should be the cylinder head intake port, and the second one the intake manifold port.

I placed the gasket against each component and traced the inside of the gasket with a black sharpie. So the black you see is the material that I propose to grind away, to match the gasket. Seems like a lot of material. So I thought I'd ask about it before I grind away.

Am I doing this right?

Grateful for your responses, I am,
JD

Attachments

• 100_2477.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 231
  • 100_2480.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 200
Did you have at least one bolt on each end to align it while you were tracing? You've got the idea, when you do this you need to work back into the hole a bit so it's a smooth transition.

Use caution doing this as you can bust through if you take too much.

If it were me, I would put that gasket back on there with a bolt on each end to keep it aligned and use a scratch awl, if you don't have one maybe a nail sharpened to a pointier point, lol.

My gasket has a pretty precise centering boss that keeps it in place. Yeah, I thought I'd try a scratch awl, too, to get more definition on the end line of where I ought to grind to. I just kinda wanted to see that whole area in black.

Thanks,
JD
(I'd thank you "officially" but I've never found the "Thank you" button!

Hey Bruce,

I just SAW the thank you button and did so!

Still learning the ropes here, I am,
JD

Use the bolts or those red "circle" things that come in the intake gasket to align the gasket and try to get it centered in the bolt as well as possible before marking what to cut off. I would recommend putting the bolts in the two holes on each side of the ports that you are working on to keep them lined up as closely as possible.

All of the above plus cut the intake port slightly smaller to avoid having a wall going into the the head port. You can also bolt the intake to the heads, and suck air thru each intake valve bowl with a shop vac. Lightly fog the intake with some white spray paint and you'll have a nice impression on the intake port of the head.

-
Back