Gaskets?

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What gasket sets are you guys using for the magnum engines? Is everything the same as an LA except the oil pan gasket? I plan on using the .028 head gaskets so I'll be buying those separate. Thanks

Change of plans, gonna leave the heads alone on this engine. So any suggestions for gasket sets?

I used stock Fel Pro Magnum gaskets.(Magnum intake gasket set,La timing cover & 360 LA oilpan sets) LA timing cover set to match a LA timing cover,Magnum gasket set,for Magnum timing cover.

I used stock Mopar gaskets for the valve covers and oil pan (one-piece) and modified the oil pan to work, then I used the Mopar gaskets for the intake to head, but silicone for the ends. Can't use the Mopar ends because they don't fit a eddy manifold.

There is a lot of differences in Magnum sets and LA sets. What year engine do you have? What setup are you going with? LA timing cover or Magnum?
For me, I bought my set (2001 Dodge Ram) from RockAuto. Best price I found, cheaper than buying local.
Abodybomber is spot on if you are mixing parts.

There is a lot of differences in Magnum sets and LA sets. What year engine do you have? What setup are you going with? LA timing cover or Magnum?
For me, I bought my set (2001 Dodge Ram) from RockAuto. Best price I found, cheaper than buying local.
Abodybomber is spot on if you are mixing parts.

I'm not 100% on the year. There a way to tell? I'll be runnin an LA timing cover and an assault intake.

I bought this kit, I know the oil pan gasket won't work (I bought a felpro magnum gasket last night) but the rest will work yes?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=390977913227

On the timing set, the timing cover gasket is the same. The rest of the gaskets in the set are different. So, you have the right set if you are using an LA timing cover setup.
Head gaskets, intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets are different.

You do need to get an oil pan with the center sump and change your oil pickup accordingly. You will need an oil pan for an LA 360. A 318 oil pan won't work, different rear main cap.

I emailed Mancini and didn't get a response, so I called. The guy told me they could get the parts, but would only give me a ballpark price for the parts. Would not give me a price on shipping and handling. I bought elsewhere.

Good luck with the engine.

I am running a LA timing chain cover and M1 intake on mine.
I bought a complete Felpro LA set and purchased the mag intake and head gaskets.
I had to run LA style valve cover to clear my roller rockers on the Eddie heads.
The exhaust gaskets are the same LA or Mag.

7xbb.jpg

My LA exh. gaskets were 3 pieces per side, magnum was one piece. Not all are the same.

What year LA, every one I have took apart most had a one piece thin metal gasket or none at all.
The fel-pro set come with the one piece and three piece.
I always wondered what year used the 3-piece.

What year LA, every one I have took apart most had a one piece thin metal gasket or none at all.
The fel-pro set come with the one piece and three piece.
I always wondered what year used the 3-piece.

I bought the 3-piece exhaust set (6 pieces) for a 68 318 engine, my original in the B'cuda. They are a pain to use unless you have studs. LOL
I decided against using the 318 manifolds and opted for some 92 Dakota manifolds. I had to do a little tweaking but both sides fit.
BTW, that's a really nice looking engine setup you have there, sireland67. You are just basically using the magnum shortblock? The rest is LA?

I bought the 3-piece exhaust set (6 pieces) for a 68 318 engine, my original in the B'cuda. They are a pain to use unless you have studs. LOL
I decided against using the 318 manifolds and opted for some 92 Dakota manifolds. I had to do a little tweaking but both sides fit.
BTW, that's a really nice looking engine setup you have there, sireland67. You are just basically using the magnum shortblock? The rest is LA?

Not to hijack the op thread but.
It is a 5.9 mag with Eddie mag heads.
LA timing chain cover, oil pan, and valve covers.

Right now I have no use for it, they were building a 1/8 mile drag strip 15 miles from me.
It has way to much compression for the street 11.3 static, 10.1 dynamic.
It has actually been sitting not started on the same engine stand for a few years.
KB107 pistons, crank turned, bottom end balanced, SFI balancer and flywheel, Eddy heads, Comp 1.6 roller rockers, Comp 280HR cam, M1 intake. Idles at 900 rpm.
Need to figure out how to get the compression down, my engine in my old truck is getting tired.
I know I can put a larger cam in it to get rid of the compression, but it most likely would run bad in my old farm truck.

Ye I bought this oil pan.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=131287469880

And have a pickup on the way. I got the one piece magnum oil pan gasket, the timing gasket set I posted above and will probably buy this intake set.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=191431199295

Perfect. Just make sure the area on the front of the pan where it meets the block is welded closed because the one-piece gasket won't fill the gap. Then for insurance just a dab of silicone in the corner is then all you need. I hope the pics show a better representation.

Attachments

• pan timing 1.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 200
  • pan timing 2.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 188
  • pan timing 3.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 196
Yea I plan on taking a hammer and dolly and tap that corner out to where it'll work with the one piece magnum gasket.

-
Back