Gate or Ratchet - ??

-

Joe334

Reaction score
I am looking at different shifters for my duster and I was wondering what the difference was between a gate operated and ratchet operated shifter. also, what type of shifter do you use or prefer in your car?

I have always had ratchets but all my cars have been street/strip.
I have never used a gate shifter. I am curious too.

. . . . um . . . come to think of it I really don't know the diff. I have a B&M Pro stick, it's kinda cool I'm still gettin used to it and it's kind of a ***** using both hands to get into reverse, I used to have a B&M Z-gate, not the prettiest thing but it worked damn good and only required one hand.

. . . . um . . . come to think of it I really don't know the diff. I have a B&M Pro stick, it's kinda cool I'm still gettin used to it and it's kind of a ***** using both hands to get into reverse, I used to have a B&M Z-gate, not the prettiest thing but it worked damn good and only required one hand.

When you say you have to use both hands to get into reverse, do you mean you have to pull the little trigger with one hand and shift with the other hand?

Here is what i've found so far regarding gate/ratchet:
Gate Operated - Gate shifters use a "gate" to move the shifter through the gears. The gate is normally designed so it will only move one gear at a time. Starting all the way back in first gear you would push the shifter over and up into second. The handle will stay in that position. From there, the shifter would move over before it could be moved up into third. The shifter moves vertical and horizontal. Some shifter sticks stay in same position after shift, depending on model.

Ratchet Operated - Ratchet shifters move one gear position at a time. Push it forward or pull it back and it only moves one position. You need to ratchet it again to move into the next position. Starting all the way back in first gear, you push the shifter forward into second. When you release the shifter, the handle comes back into a neutral position waiting for the next shift. You push it ahead again and you're in third gear and the handle comes back for the next gear. So it's always push, release, push, release. Some ratchet operated shifter has 2 settings: trigger operated (Park – drive) and ratchet operated (N – 1, which you just push up without having to use the trigger). The shifter only moves vertical.

Trigger Operated – To shift the transmission out of park/reverse (reverse lockout), you must pull up on the trigger in order to be able to move the stick, (simple on some shifters and other shifters require 2 hands to move out of park/reverse).

Here is what i've found so far regarding gate/ratchet:
Gate Operated - Gate shifters use a "gate" to move the shifter through the gears. The gate is normally designed so it will only move one gear at a time. Starting all the way back in first gear you would push the shifter over and up into second. The handle will stay in that position. From there, the shifter would move over before it could be moved up into third. The shifter moves vertical and horizontal. Some shifter sticks stay in same position after shift, depending on model.

Ratchet Operated - Ratchet shifters move one gear position at a time. Push it forward or pull it back and it only moves one position. You need to ratchet it again to move into the next position. Starting all the way back in first gear, you push the shifter forward into second. When you release the shifter, the handle comes back into a neutral position waiting for the next shift. You push it ahead again and you're in third gear and the handle comes back for the next gear. So it's always push, release, push, release. Some ratchet operated shifter has 2 settings: trigger operated (Park – drive) and ratchet operated (N – 1, which you just push up without having to use the trigger). The shifter only moves vertical.

Trigger Operated – To shift the transmission out of park, you must pull up on the trigger in order to be able to move the stick, (simple on some shifters and other shifters require 2 hands to move out of park/reverse).

Isn't ratchet where you just push up on the handle and it shifts, thus eliminating overshifting?

My shifter is gate, but if you put it in ratchet mode you just flick through the gears

a gate shifter {fairbanks,scs cheetah} has a "plate" with a pattern cut into it so that as you shift through the gears you have to move the shifter handle from left to right and vice versa,,,,,,,,,,, a ratchet shifter works in a straight line with a postive mechanical latching pattern{you bang the damn thing forward to go through the gears,,,,,,,,some of this style have a seperate lever to pull to allow the shifter to move to the reverse position :book:

When you say you have to use both hands to get into reverse, do you mean you have to pull the little trigger with one hand and shift with the other hand?

Yeah, it's a little time consuming in parking lots and stuff and people probably think "that kid can't drive his dad's car" damn, that sucks lol

-
Back