Gauge cluster lighting

-

Charger4404spd

Reaction score
Any idea why the left side of the cluster is lit and the right side does not? According to the diagram, the orange wire feeds all bulbs. 67 Barracuda.

Have you cleaned the metal contacts of the bulb sockets? The circuit board grounds to the gauge case, I fixed mine by adding extra grounds to where the gauge case mounts to the dash.

Have you cleaned the metal contacts of the bulb sockets? The circuit board grounds to the gauge case, I fixed mine by adding extra grounds to where the gauge case mounts to the dash.

Yes I had the cluster out and installed all new bulbs. Couple of the bulbs on right side worked before I removed cluster. Theres a separate circuit board for each side. Maybe right side isnt getting a ground?

Very possible it's not. I added washers under the screws of the circuit boards on mine. Even tight, there was play between the board and cluster base. That is how they ground. Then the cluster assembly grounds to the dash via the mount screws. I added extra ground wires from the cluster assembly to the dash structure. If the cluster is removed, you can test each light circuit witha 9 volt batter with some wire and alligator clips.

Very possible it's not. I added washers under the screws of the circuit boards on mine. Even tight, there was play between the board and cluster base. That is how they ground. Then the cluster assembly grounds to the dash via the mount screws. I added extra ground wires from the cluster assembly to the dash structure. If the cluster is removed, you can test each light circuit witha 9 volt batter with some wire and alligator clips.

Thanks, I will add a ground tomorrow and hope that fixes it.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

In the top pic, there is another ground wire that I ran directly to the dash frame. In both pics, you can see where I added a small washer under the head of the board mount screw to mount it tight and grounding it to the cluster case. Also got rid of those speed nuts and installed real ones with stainless washers on the studs. All contacts had to be cleaned on the boards as well as the light socket contacts that touch the board. An eraser, emory board or fine sand paper all work well. Just be carefull not to scuff something you don't want to.

In the top pic, there is another ground wire that I ran directly to the dash frame. In both pics, you can see where I added a small washer under the head of the board mount screw to mount it tight and grounding it to the cluster case. Also got rid of those speed nuts and installed real ones with stainless washers on the studs. All contacts had to be cleaned on the boards as well as the light socket contacts that touch the board. An eraser, emory board or fine sand paper all work well. Just be carefull not to scuff something you don't want to.

Found the problem. The orange wire wasnt making good contact on the pin. I went ahead and added the grounds anyway. Thanks for your help!

-
Back