gaurd house clock urn

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
my father in law passed away about a year ago, and we have been trying to figure out what to do with his ashes

I finally decided it might be cool if I took one of his clock (he had a liking for them, and the whole banister was lined with them) and build a little guard house with it, for his ashes

I got a 11X8 plaque, some hobby wood and went to work

this is the result

the ashes will go in the brass urn you see on the right
it feeds from the bottom, so I need to get me some longer screws for the bottom/lid of it and then I can finish it up

the longer screws will go through the plaque, mounting the urn to the bottom, then there are 4 regular wood screws which hold the house in place

you cant tell, but I used a router to cut the house's footprint out of the plaque to ensure it sits nicely
(actually, now that I look at the picture, you can see where the baseboard trim seems to sit a little high, once I put those four woodscrews in that will draw the house down in the groove and that trim will be flush)

while building this I relied heavily on his own tools, and all but two of the nails I used I found in his toolbox

I think he would have liked it

Dude, I always thought keeping someone's ashes was weird as all hell, but I must admit, that is super cool. My condolences.

thanks

I'm not going to give my opinion on how I feel about cremation in general...this is just one way to comfort the wife, and this will take a place at her moms house between his other clocks, so I'm good with it

Oh I got zero problem with cremation. I just always thought keepin the ashes was strange......of course mine is not the only opinion and aint we glad?

Still mighty cool of you man.

Very nice work!!! She'll love it and it will look great sitting with all the other clocks...this clock will be a special one!

sounds to me like you are a caring person, and this will be a special way to remember and honor that person.

I just want my ashes spread over the pasture. O K, so I might wash over into the neighbor's pasture.

thanks guys
I dropped it of at her moms house this morning and she was pretty moved by it

silly sentimental sidenote, the clock is still an hour behind, because her dad was the last one to adjust it and he passed away before we moved it again so I decided to leave it there

Very thoughtful of you to think of and build, I suspect it is a big relief and comfort for your mother-in-law.

-
Back