gear lube vs. tranny fluid

-
833 operates on friction. if you use friction modified gear lube you defeat the design of the trans. people put in gear lube because they leak as the reverse rod and O ring wear out. If you want to run gear oil get it without any friction modifiers or you will be fighting the shifter. My .02 is dextron atf

LOL this thread cracks me up. Try a bunch of different oils, see which works the best. My guess is something classic and simple will be the best, like a quality gear oil perhaps.

What about saw-dust? I've seen it quiet down more noisy manuals and rear axles than anything else.

Use what the transmission mfg specifies, and then find the best product in the specification. One trans that I own wants gear lube, but if you just buy what's on the shelf at the local parts house the bearing next to the fifth gear will die in about 30k miles. Truck's PO BT, DT. I've since put ~130k on Torco and then Redline synthetic gear lubes with no issues and at times some very extreme use.
NV4500's have a very narrow lube spec. There are exactly two products certified for use in that trans, the fluid formulated specifically for it by LE and an Amsoil product. Use anything else and you'll kill it. It's been tried.

-
Back