Gear Selector

-

jseej62

Reaction score
Slightly out of alignment with letters on steering post (R,N,D,2,1) on my column shifter. What is the correct way to re-align them? i have a 727 transmission.

Any help will be appreciated.

Slightly out of alignment with letters on steering post (R,N,D,2,1) on my column shifter. What is the correct way to re-align them? i have a 727 transmission.

Any help will be appreciated.

There is a block with a bolt, on a shaft from the transmission that is the adjustment.

If I do it by myself (no helper) I find the adjuster usually down at the trans somewhere.
It looks like about a 3/4 inch or so block at one of the rod ends and has a bolt in the end. (I'll find a pic)
Loosen the adjuster bolt just till it moves a little then jiggle the shifter till the pointer is where I want it, then go back and tighten the adjuster.

It's easier if you have two people because you can have one person loosen the adjuster and then tighten it back down again while the other person holds the lever in position.

Vehicle type and year can make a difference, so if you have a 62 of some sort you may have a cable and those are quite different to adjust.

They call it the swivel assembly in this picture.

shift.jpg

-
Back