Gear setup opinion

-

daredevil

Reaction score
Have tried every shim combo I can think of. Need pinion heighth set at 1.767 and closest I can get is 1.761 Will this be a big problem or is it completely unnacceptable?

That should be close enough. .006 is not too much out in my opinion. I have set up many, with no noise or problems.

I disagree, .006" can make a difference in noise and operation. You will have to decide for yourself what's acceptable. Do you have marking compound? You might have to put it all together and see where the pattern is. It is a lot of trial and error sometimes which is why most people avoid this job.

If you want to get it right, then I would keep trying. Maybe you can take a thicker shim that you are not using and grind it down a few thou. until you get it where you want it. The drive line places all sell shim packs. If you're not in a hurry, maybe look into getting an extra shim pack.

I disagree, .006" can make a difference in noise and operation. You will have to decide for yourself what's acceptable. Do you have marking compound? You might have to put it all together and see where the pattern is. It is a lot of trial and error sometimes which is why most people avoid this job.

If you want to get it right, then I would keep trying. Maybe you can take a thicker shim that you are not using and grind it down a few thou. until you get it where you want it. The drive line places all sell shim packs. If you're not in a hurry, maybe look into getting an extra shim pack.

........aint that the truth.................kim..........

I'm no rear end builder, heck I always farmed mine out. But common sense tells me 6 thou on the pinion depth is miniscule at this point. You're just in the "mockup" stage...

I edited this post because being a smart a$$ just doesn't work for me :). I'm Sorry.

I am sure someone has a .006" shim somewhere.

0.006" is huge when setting pinion depth.

Regardless of the number scribed on the head of the pinion or your pinion gauge accuracy, gear mesh is the most important factor.

What does your contact pattern look like?

Havent went that far.Working methodically step by step and want to get this right before proceeding.

0.006" is huge when setting pinion depth.

Regardless of the number scribed on the head of the pinion or your pinion gauge accuracy, gear mesh is the most important factor.

What does your contact pattern look like?

..:thumbrig:..DD

Obviously this is why I left mine to the professionals...lol.

-
Back