Gear Vendors Anyone?

-

wazoo64

Reaction score
This is my last try to find someone that has installed a gear vendor unit. I am looking for somefeedback on install requirements as well as performance. Anyone put one of these in an A Body????

NOT in my A-Body's.........BUT, I installed one in my Ford 350 tow rig.......On the C-6 automatic, I simply removed the tailshaft, and bolted up the new unit. A little wiring to the dash for the controller, and the initial install was complete..... no mods to the crossmember or mount that I recall.......

BUT, the driveshaft had to be shortened.........my local 4-wheel drive shop did the work, and balanced it...........great job..........

I'm not sure if the Mopar units will be the same, but the manufacturers tend to make it as simple as possible.........your best bet is to e-mail Gear Vendors tech support, and ask about the driveshaft.............If you need it shortened, it's not really a big deal...........you just need the correct measurement, OR have your welder look at it himself before they cut and weld.

That's the best I can do..............But I'll add this.........the mileage on my tow rig JUMPED after the install (in high range), AND THE WEAR AND TEAR ON THE MOTOR WAS DRASTICALLY DECREASED. .........and I kept my power in the low band too......................

Doc

i am also intrested in hearing about the gear venders unit,,,richmond now has a 5 speed manual box,, but getting ifo out of them is like puling teeth,, i decided i dont need it if they cant tell me about it,,,,next i may call gear vendors see if there is any one there with a brain,,,and some answers,,, any info would be great,,,

Yea I looked at the Gear vender unit and you will need to get your drive shaft shortened but that's not very expensive. The only problem I've got is using a Gear Vender with a tranny with a 3000 stall torque converter (mine). In overdrive I'd be slipping mine like crazy at 2500 RPM, I think, and making a lot of heat, maybe to much for the aux. oil cooler. I ran the numbers by the Gear Vender guy and he was non commital whether I'd hurt the tranny.

Terry

I also run a 3000 stall. Never thought that would be an issue when splitting gears. My biggest worry was the mods on the floor pan and the ground clearance. I run lower than stock and couldnt get away with anything hanging much lower than the pipes.

What stall would be a good number to have when using a gear vendors unit?

How about what type of engine? Low-band torque monster or just about a square motor with like 400hp and 400tq?

When I think about running a stall and a GV unit,it's like this.

The stall(say a 3500) will want to flash about 3500 with about 400h.p.It'll flash higher with more power,say 4500 with 600 h.p

But what sort of h.p are you making at cruising speed?Say you cruise at 2500 rpm with the G.V installed.You might be making a couple hundred h.p,probably less.So the converter should flash way lower,say 2000 rpms.It should work just fine.The key here is getting the right converter for the motor when it's built.A custom one is what I would get.

-
Back