Gears

-

Bigdummy

Not a Nova
Reaction score
Im waiting on Less Adams (Machinist)to let me know what brand of gears to buy.I got 3.91's but they make too much noise so Im going to get 3.55 so I can cruise.I've been lookin for a nother center section but haven't found one yet cause I have some 4.30's so I can swap to race!!I got a 89 chunk!!Next year its a stroker Mtr 4.25 stroke with chebby rods and sum aluminum heads

Gear noise from name brand is a myth. Noise comes from one thing. Improperly set up gears. There is no one brand to stay away from. Have gear makes had bad runs of gears before? I'm sure. But that doesn't mean that these gears over here are known for makin noise but these over here are quiet. I've used some of them all and have yet to find a brand that's noisey. If you're guy is tellin you that, I would hope a big red flag is poppin up because it should be.

There are some gears that aren't really made perfectly though RRR and depending on they're finish could make a noise.

The no name white boxed crap pirated poorly copied stuff can make noise, some richmonds could and would make noise at higher speeds

Love the car.

YOu might want to consider an overdrive. Best of both worlds.

There are some gears that aren't really made perfectly though RRR and depending on they're finish could make a noise.

The no name white boxed crap pirated poorly copied stuff can make noise, some richmonds could and would make noise at higher speeds

That maybe true, but I was not even thinking of those. I was referring to Richmond, Yukon, etc. Gears are pretty reasonable and not something I would go to chinkesium on just to save a buck. I mean for 200 bucks you can have the best brand name there is.

Gear noise from name brand is a myth. Noise comes from one thing. Improperly set up gears.
That's true Rob. Or with a worn out ring and pinon.
You are not gonna notice a big drop going from 3.91 to 3.55.
you gonna need to go to a 3.23.
Or consider putting a O/D in it.

I see you are in TX, for cruising I would look for a used 2.94 chunk or even a 2.71.
Not much holding you back in the flat land.

I agree w SS I mean RustyRatRod . No reason for noise but bad set-up to worn components. Any reputable manufacturer should stand behind their products, providing it's assembled correctly. Setting up ring n pinion is not for everyone, most folks #&$@ it up real bad and "think" they got a good pattern . Reality is, pinion is either too deep or too shallow, no one ever checks pinion load. Without the right tools, it's all black magic and voodoo.

-
Back