Gen 3 Hemi list input needed

-
Too funny. Just noticed that the discontinued listing for the headers say '73-74.

1701279038544.png

Found this article on BangShift from the beginning of 2022. Sounds like the Headers weren't even out a full year.

Last edited:
Well shoot, the A8 is looking better and better. Already bought my T56 so I don't think I will change directions, but if I hadn't I'm pretty sure I would have bought an 8HP70.

These guys have a controller, sequential shifter and a clutch emulator that makes the 8HP feel like a dual clutch manual. Using a rheostat, they engage clutch packs in the trans and make it work like a manual clutch would. Then they add a spring so the clutch pedal has resistance. After getting rolling you shift like a DSG, and use the clutch for clutch kicks (??). Must be a drifting thing. Either way, pretty cool.

Not sure I would go that way myself, but pretty cool tech. The fact that the SGE kit allows for different shift schedules really intrigues me though and would probably be the way I go.

Well shoot, the A8 is looking better and better. Already bought my T56 so I don't think I will change directions, but if I hadn't I'm pretty sure I would have bought an 8HP70.

These guys have a controller, sequential shifter and a clutch emulator that makes the 8HP feel like a dual clutch manual. Using a rheostat, they engage clutch packs in the trans and make it work like a manual clutch would. Then they add a spring so the clutch pedal has resistance. After getting rolling you shift like a DSG, and use the clutch for clutch kicks (??). Must be a drifting thing. Either way, pretty cool.

Not sure I would go that way myself, but pretty cool tech. The fact that the SGE kit allows for different shift schedules really intrigues me though and would probably be the way I go.

The Australians and drift guys like them. For the street.. Nah

The Australians and drift guys like them. For the street.. Nah

Not sure I can disagree.

I have been a stick guy for years, but my wife doesn't like them. So, in my mind, the A8 would be an acceptable solution for me, but even more so if I could run it like a DSG and (maybe?) flip a switch so it goes full auto if my wife needed to drive it. Like if we road trip the car as I hope to, we could share the driving duties more easily.

Seems I've heard the BMW crowd has really taken to the DSG now. This seems like it would function the same way, so it would be a neat option for something close to the same without a ton of money.

All just an idea anyways.

This thread reminded me that the centerlink can be an area of concern on a G3 swap. The '73+ centerlink and pitman/idler arm gives more clearance and solved an issue with the idler hitting the pan when turning right.

I don't remember people talking about the issue before the Holley cast pan came out, but one guy did have the same issues with the '72 and down centerlink with the Milodon pan.

Either way, just something to keep in mind when doing the swap.

This thread reminded me that the centerlink can be an area of concern on a G3 swap. The '73+ centerlink and pitman/idler arm gives more clearance and solved an issue with the idler hitting the pan when turning right.

I don't remember people talking about the issue before the Holley cast pan came out, but one guy did have the same issues with the '72 and down centerlink with the Milodon pan.

Either way, just something to keep in mind when doing the swap.
I'm trying to get ahead of this.. I kinda knew about it but it didn't dawn on me until after I ordered my small sector borgeson. So, I'm asking questions in a few threads..

I'm trying to get ahead of this.. I kinda knew about it but it didn't dawn on me until after I ordered my small sector borgeson. So, I'm asking questions in a few threads..

I saw that you resurrected the thread, it was what reminded me of the issue as I had forgotten. I posted it here for the OP's benefit since you were already ahead of me on it.

I saw that you resurrected the thread, it was what reminded me of the issue as I had forgotten. I posted it here for the OP's benefit since you were already ahead of me on it.
I think I figured out.. All of this may be common knowledge but after googling, asking questions and searching, I never really got a definitive answer. I did read that dodge used the same (mostly) manual steering box in A, B, E etc all the way to 76, never changing the sector size. So I started looking up part numbers and found that pre 73 used the same pitman arm on manual and PS boxes. See where this is going? That means that all manual pitman arms are small sector. So I'm pretty sure that I can just use a 73 manual pitman arm (plus everything else 73) on my small sector PS box.

I hemi swapped my D150 a couple years ago with a 2011 5.7 from a ram with a 545 transmission. I wanted to use Holley terminator x max but it will not control the transmission. I recently bought a 2018 salvage 6.4 challenger to part out and use for my duster and call Holley again and they still can’t control the 545 or the 8 speed. I ended up using Hotwire for my truck. You send them a factory ecu and they build a custom harness. If you use a 545 it’s around $1750 but if you use a nag or 8 speed you need a transmission and that about a $1000 more. Hotwire recommends disabling the mds. My truck might get better fuel mileage with the mds but on the interstate I’ll get around 20 miles per gallon with 3:55 gears. I have drove my truck 35000 miles since the swap with no issues. The only downside to Hotwire is if you need custom tuning you have to find someone that uses hp tuners and that is not cheap. The 545 went in my truck without modifications to the transmission tunnel. If it was a nag or 8 speed it would have taken some work. I think if you use a 8 speed in a duster you pretty much have to cut the torsion bar cross member into. If you use a manual transmission or a 46re you can use Holley but if you want a 545,8speed or a nag I would use Hotwire or another standalone company. The Holley mounts worked great for my swap but like everyone else said they make it hard to find headers that fit. The d150s have the same problem as a body’s if you use Holley mounts you can only use Holley header and for a body’s they only offer a manifold. Hopefully some of this info will help you with your own swap.

You send them a factory ecu and they build a custom harness. If you use a 545 it’s around $1750 but if you use a nag or 8 speed you need a transmission and that about a $1000 more.

For what it's worth, last time I talked to Hotwire and asked about controlling the 8HP70/90, they were selling the Sound German Engineering stand alone which is the same setup you would need if the Terminator X stuff was used. So for an 8HP, the Hotwire setup doesn't necessarily add anything.

As I understand it, the best option for a 545 is the factory PCM setup from Hotwire.

I think if you use a 8 speed in a duster you pretty much have to cut the torsion bar cross member into.

Probably. I only know that the B-Body at SEMA was able to use one without cutting the floor by shaving some bosses off the case. No idea on an A-Body, but I agree it would most likely need the crossmember cut. Thing is, short of a 727/904 or A833, there really isn't an option that doesn't.

I've got to say though, it sure seems like the 8HP is the trans to use unless you are a hardcore stick only guy. Just seems like there isn't much that hold a candle to it, really can't see a reason to run a 545 or NAG1 unless you just had to run what you had. I know the new Challengers with 8A are almost always faster than the 6M and the 5A, and they get better mileage. The guys in the video I linked said the parasitic loss on an 8HP isn't any worse than a manual. Add that with the right setup you could have a sport/drag mode and change the shifts, or even go crazy and run a virtual clutch have a sequential trans. And the stand alone out of Aus even gives the option for a trans brake.

With a 6.4, it would be like a Challenger 1320 minus 1000#. Add AC and CC and (to me) it would be the absolute best Drag Week entry. Stellar mpg on the highway, comfortable and quiet at 1600@65mph, and when you get to the track switch to drag mode and run the trans brake and full hard shifts for a 10.*** run. Flip the switch back and cruise it to the next stop.

Anyone want to buy an SST T56 Magnum swap kit for a G3 for $5200? :lol:

I think I figured out.. All of this may be common knowledge but after googling, asking questions and searching, I never really got a definitive answer. I did read that dodge used the same (mostly) manual steering box in A, B, E etc all the way to 76, never changing the sector size. So I started looking up part numbers and found that pre 73 used the same pitman arm on manual and PS boxes. See where this is going? That means that all manual pitman arms are small sector. So I'm pretty sure that I can just use a 73 manual pitman arm (plus everything else 73) on my small sector PS box.

Yup, that is correct. You can absolutely use a '73+ manual steering pitman arm on a small sector PS box with a 73+ center link.

I have that combo on my '71 Dart, I bought the small sector steering box before realizing someone had bored out my '71 center link. I had a '74 center link on hand, and just bought the 73+ manual steering pitman to put it all together.

I’m working on another gen 3 swap now and I’m using Hotwire again except this time it’s a 6.4 with a 8speed. I’m curious to see how it all works together. I think the 8 speed will definitely work better than my 545.We’ll see! I like the idea off using hooey terminator x but you really need to know how to tune. I did a turbo ls swap with terminator and he had it blown upon 2 days.

-
Back