Hemi swap oil pan questions

-

RSM

Reaction score
I'm collecting the parts to swap a 2012 5.7 into my 71 Demon with the stock suspension. I'll be using TTi headers and I'm looking at the Milodon oil pan. I've read about issues with leaks but is there another pan option for use with TTi headers (1.75" tubes)? TTi says that the headers will not clear anything other than the Milodon 31000. Is the stock dipstick retained or does it have to be replaced?

I bought the Holley pan for my 5.7, I really like the cast aluminum aspect as it is very rigid and I believe it uses the stock silicone gasket. Also, I like that the Holley pan comes complete with pickup, bolts, etc. I haven't received it yet but should soon.

What exhaust are you going to be using? I looked up that oil pan and I see why you like it. Anything cast like that is way better than stamped steel plus it's a complete assembly and they make them for VVT and non VVT. I like that it comes with a windage tray. I just need to be sure it will clear the TTi headers, which it should.

I got my oilpan from Charlie's Oilpans and run TTI headers in my 70 Cuda. Everything fits great and after 10+ years, still no leaks.

Header choice may affect you steering box if you go aftermarket.

I'll be going with TTi headers which will fit with a manual steering box.

Just got my Holley oil pan.. it fits to k member but not the center link.. anybody running one and have this issue.. one turn one way and it hits the pan. Pictures with it centered
2F7C8843-3476-43B2-A293-FADF8BFE3C5C.jpeg

Here is pix of my Milodon with a HDK front end and TTI headers. I have ran Milodon on all of our race cars and not had any issues but I hear over and over that their quality control has diminished here lately for one reason or another, while that certainly may be true I have not experienced it. I have also heard a lot of good about Charlie oil pans but lead time is tough? Again I have not ordered so that is mere gossip. Car is a 72 Demon and everything fit with no real modifications.

D9308278-F168-4721-B053-4C53CDD7475F.jpeg

8C5539D4-6604-4D8B-B989-2667F93DF246.jpeg

Is the drag link closing to clearing or does it need a lot of clearance? Could you have been a little off in your measurements?

Engine is right on. There two full turns per side. Only getting one turn turning right before crashing into pan.. engine offset is 1-3/16 same as tailshaft stud and pinion. 2.8 degrees down on tailshaft end

Sounds like your right on the money. Hopefully someone will chime in with an answer.

Just got my Holley oil pan.. it fits to k member but not the center link.. anybody running one and have this issue.. one turn one way and it hits the pan. Pictures with it centered View attachment 1715868564

Somewhere it says you don't have to modify the firewall to fit a 6.4 with Holley's parts, which I think means they move the motor forward. I bet your issue is they set up the oilpan to fit the motor when it is 2+ inches forward of the stock location. Pretty sure most of their stuff says it is designed to use all of their parts.

I've wondered if the Holley pan would fit without their mounts, I suspect you have confirmed they don't. Sorry.

Found it - White Box engine swap mounts allow easy installation of the Gen III Hemi engine in your 1973-1976 Mopar A-Body. These engine-Mount assemblies are part of an engineered solution that works together with the transmission crossmember and headers to optimize the engine placement & component clearances along with ideal drivetrain / U-joint operation angles. The engine placement eliminates modifications to the firewall and the engine mounting brackets fit the K-member on cars that originally came from the factory with a V8 engine. Firewall clearance provided for the use of Short Runner Valve (SRV) intake solenoid (no need to lock valve and sacrifice top end performance).

White Box WB130032 White Box Engine Mount Brackets

D1BE564F-9DBE-48FF-8B0A-76BFB51D2DA7.jpeg
Found it - White Box engine swap mounts allow easy installation of the Gen III Hemi engine in your 1973-1976 Mopar A-Body. These engine-Mount assemblies are part of an engineered solution that works together with the transmission crossmember and headers to optimize the engine placement & component clearances along with ideal drivetrain / U-joint operation angles. The engine placement eliminates modifications to the firewall and the engine mounting brackets fit the K-member on cars that originally came from the factory with a V8 engine. Firewall clearance provided for the use of Short Runner Valve (SRV) intake solenoid (no need to lock valve and sacrifice top end performance).

White Box WB130032 White Box Engine Mount Brackets
Unfortunately it wouldn’t help the issue the engine would have to move like two inches to the driver side. Front to back I’m golden but clearance while turning to the center link is the issue.. would E body center link parts fit?? Seems like it flips the center link from top to bottom
D1BE564F-9DBE-48FF-8B0A-76BFB51D2DA7.jpeg

Mine is on the top of idler and pitman arm this one is flipped..

There is a difference between later A-Body center links and earlier ones. ‘73+ the pitman and idler studs point down. Maybe that is what you need? Seems like the Holley parts are for 73-76 so that might kind of line up. Just a guess though.

E-Body stuff won’t work, width will be way wrong.

It would be cool if I am wrong about my guess that motor needs to be moved. I would think Holley would say something in their instructions if that where so, and I didn’t see anything. Be a nice option for a G3 swap.

There is a difference between later A-Body center links and earlier ones. ‘73+ the pitman and idler studs point down. Maybe that is what you need? Seems like the Holley parts are for 73-76 so that might kind of line up. Just a guess though.

E-Body stuff won’t work, width will be way wrong.

It would be cool if I am wrong about my guess that motor needs to be moved. I would think Holley would say something in their instructions if that where so, and I didn’t see anything. Be a nice option for a G3 swap.
Meant to say 73-76 pitman arm stuff. There’s no real way to move the motor and be practical. Can’t move it two inches to the driver side. Can’t Jack it up or else I’ll be into the tunnel and I’ll have an aggressive working angle. 3* down in my book is maxed. I’m at 2.8. I’m guessing 73-76 steering stuff see how that goes or start cutting the pan up or both lol. Anyone have pictures of theirs underneath and what pan/ steering are you using.

It has to be 73-76 steering components… per Holley website. something had to of changed from 67 till 73? My guess is steering component and biscuit style engine mounts.. anyone have pics of 67-68 darts? But other pans have to have issues unless they changed something or it’s when they changed components through the years and nobody has caught it?

From what I see on the website, both pans should fit 63-76 Darts. I don't see any specifics about drag links or steering, unless I'm missing it. I went back and looked again and I see the tab for the 73-76 A body but if you look specifically at the oil pan info they show it fitting 63-76. If I have to change the steering I'll send the pan back and get a Milodon, I'm not changing all those parts.
For ***** and giggles and since they aren't open today I emailed Holley explaining the issues and asked if the 73 and up steering has to be used. Guess I'll see what I get for an answer.

Last edited:
From what I see on the website, both pans should fit 63-76 Darts. I don't see any specifics about drag links or steering, unless I'm missing it. I went back and looked again and I see the tab for the 73-76 A body but if you look specifically at the oil pan info they show it fitting 63-76. If I have to change the steering I'll send the pan back and get a Milodon, I'm not changing all those parts.
Check pictures out of the cars with Milodon pan may be the same issue..Correct on the info your seeing. I’m putting my money on that they did mock up on a 73-76 car with flipped steering components not like 67-69. They are all the same situations except for that 67-69 has different steering and motor mount pads. K member dimensions tunnels are the same so I’m guessing they missed that part.. hell I didn’t even know they where different till I had the issue. I’ll be reaching out to Holley about this issue.

I updated my comment after you sent your last response. I sent Holley an email since they aren't open today.

I updated my comment after you sent your last response. I sent Holley an email since they aren't open today.
Awesome hopefully we get some answers. Thanks pm me or post on here if you hear back. I’ll be calling also haha

Here is pix of my Milodon with a HDK front end and TTI headers. I have ran Milodon on all of our race cars and not had any issues but I hear over and over that their quality control has diminished here lately for one reason or another, while that certainly may be true I have not experienced it. I have also heard a lot of good about Charlie oil pans but lead time is tough? Again I have not ordered so that is mere gossip. Car is a 72 Demon and everything fit with no real modifications.

View attachment 1715868664

View attachment 1715868665
Your running aftermarket everything on the suspension and K-member which is a different animal in itself. You really can't compare aftermarket to factory for fitment issues.

-
Back