Gen 3 Hemi Swap time!!!

-
I know the 6.1 has a roughly .20 or .30 bigger bore than a 5.7 and people talk about more wall thickness in the 5.7. However, I've never seen anyone claim just how thick the walls are in either engine. For all anyone knows, the 6.1 still has thicker, or as thick walls even after the final bore. Maybe it was designed with thicker walls than the 5.7 so it could be bored bigger and still have plenty of wall thickness. Not saying any of this is so, just don't know either way and I've never seen anyone confirm it.

On the other hand, I DO have Chrysler literature that states the 6.1 is beefed more than the 5.7 for the extra power and expected abuse.

* OK, I'd have to dig out the literature, as it may or may not say anything about "expected abuse". That's more just me throwing that in! lolol

I know the 6.1 has a roughly .20 or .30 bigger bore than a 5.7 and people talk about more wall thickness in the 5.7. However, I've never seen anyone claim just how thick the walls are in either engine. For all anyone knows, the 6.1 still has thicker, or as thick walls even after the final bore. Maybe it was designed with thicker walls than the 5.7 so it could be bored bigger and still have plenty of wall thickness. Not saying any of this is so, just don't know either way and I've never seen anyone confirm it.

On the other hand, I DO have Chrysler literature that states the 6.1 is beefed more than the 5.7 for the extra power and expected abuse.

* OK, I'd have to dig out the literature, as it may or may not say anything about "expected abuse". That's more just me throwing that in! lolol

sorry but it has been proven time and time again. 5.7 block walls typically .280 thick and some are more. 6.1 blocks have been as thin that i can recall off my head at .180 with stock bore diameter. nothing else matters if the piston shoves itself through the paper cylinder walls. not the increased bulk heads or main webbings nada. this is why i have a 5.7 block. there are even 4" bore 5.7 blocks running around flawlessly. so consider that as an option. i know i was for quite some time but i want the thicker walls more than tiny amount of bore.

sorry but it has been proven time and time again. 5.7 block walls typically .280 thick and some are more. 6.1 blocks have been as thin that i can recall off my head at .180 with stock bore diameter. nothing else matters if the piston shoves itself through the paper cylinder walls. not the increased bulk heads or main webbings nada. this is why i have a 5.7 block. there are even 4" bore 5.7 blocks running around flawlessly. so consider that as an option. i know i was for quite some time but i want the thicker walls more than tiny amount of bore.

But where is this info coming from? Where, besides internet chatter. I've never seen it in print anywhere. Some type of reasonably bonafide proof. If both blocks start out new with the same wall thickness before factory machining and the 6.1 gets bored an additional .020 or .030 (I forget what the number is) more than a 5.7, then I guess the 6.1 would net out with thinner walls. Where is this information in print though?

For that matter, I think my Chrysler literature recommends not boring EITHER of these blocks more than .020 . I took this as they both have about the same wall thickness with their factory bores. I'm happy to be convinced otherwise with the right proof.

SOME guys have taken the 5.7 to a 4.0" bore with no problems. A few have went to 4.09 on a 6.1, but I have a hard time believing the 6.1's are just overbored 5.7 sleeves. That would be a .120+ over bore, sorry aint buyin it.

But where is this info coming from? Where, besides internet chatter. I've never seen it in print anywhere. Some type of reasonably bonafide proof. If both blocks start out new with the same wall thickness before factory machining and the 6.1 gets bored an additional .020 or .030 (I forget what the number is) more than a 5.7, then I guess the 6.1 would net out with thinner walls. Where is this information in print though?

For that matter, I think my Chrysler literature recommends not boring EITHER of these blocks more than .020 . I took this as they both have about the same wall thickness with their factory bores. I'm happy to be convinced otherwise with the right proof.

pic a builder and call them and ask. its old information man. pwr aka andy is one who swore by it. another builder name frank also claimed the same and posted results somewhere but i dont know where or remember. if it was internet chatter and no proof of it. you would not be getting me to state this claim. if i have not gotte this info from actual builders you would not be seeing me with a 5.7 block in my build. when a new 6.1 is only a 1000 bucks new from mopar. it would be insanity to not run a bigger bore unless it has issues. those issues are the cylinders are not ductile iron but cast and the thinner they get the weaker they will be.

There's only a couple of builders that I would trust for this information. Andy is not one of them. Regardless, as of August of last year, a new 6.1 block was not available over the counter, let alone for $1,000. I'd love to know where I can get a new 6.1 block for a grand. Will run right down and buy one, pronto and I have a used, in good shape 5.7 block I'll sell you dirt cheap for sharing the information.

There's only a couple of builders that I would trust for this information. Andy is not one of them. Regardless, as of August of last year, a new 6.1 block was not available over the counter, let alone for $1,000. I'd love to know where I can get a new 6.1 block for a grand. Will run right down and buy one, pronto and I have a used, in good shape 5.7 block I'll sell you dirt cheap for sharing the information.

Actually, BPE has the blocks for 1100.

And Online chrysler dealers have them for around 930.
P5153816AB

Weird checked 4 online dealers...

BLOCK-CAST IRON 6.1L - Mopar (P5153816AB)

Discontinued Part

No Longer Available For Purchase

Riddler

Monacasti Chrysler online had it...

Also Indy and BPE sell the blocks for under 1000

try to order one.. they are not available....

Exactly. I tried last spring when they were supposed to be re-released. No one had an actual release date. Many were skeptical they were even going to be released.

Yeah, there's many on line sites that show them, but when you try to order, you get "out of stock"; discontinued, or any number of other excuses, yet they've kept them listed ever since they became unavailable.

wierd it shows factory shipped when i called. non stock for dealer but factory ships. i have somebody who just ordered half a dozen today. ill update if its cancelled on him.

indy has them and a few others as well. im done sharing where till i know what im doing in the next 24-48hrs myself.

I still have a 6.1 block on order from Monicati, have asked a few times when they will be available. The order keeps getting pushed back due to lack of demand, which tells me the odds of them being cast and machined is small. My order has been active since Oct 2015.

I still have a 6.1 block on order from Monicati, have asked a few times when they will be available. The order keeps getting pushed back due to lack of demand, which tells me the odds of them being cast and machined is small. My order has been active since Oct 2015.

back then i heard they would begin production once they hit 100 paid requests on them then. now im finding them available to order again and or buy strait from some places that did not have them months ago.

There's still some engine builders that bought a lot of them when they were available and they still have some. However, most did not buy to sell outright. They only sell as part of the build when you order an engine from them.

-
Back