Gen III hemi belt screeching

-

garyfish340

Reaction score
Thought I'd save you a bit of trouble. A lot of the people on other forums are talking about the Hemi belt squeal, it's like the Hemi tick. But is it really? Most of the forums I read said, " Get used to the noise, Hemi's do that, live with it. " Other people say change the pullies, change the water pump, it's the power stearing, etc. I say check the back of the serpentine tensioner. If it's been tightend too much, it's probably cracked. ( Hopefully I attached a picture.) I hope this helps somebody. I like to think I've made the mistakes, so you won't have to.

Attachments

• P1010011-1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 319
We ended up getting a laser alignment tool at our shop to figure out whats going on when there is a squeal , it works pretty slick.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq6CUaH9rhc"]Dayco Laser Alignment Tool - YouTube[/ame]

We ended up getting a laser alignment tool at our shop to figure out whats going on when there is a squeal , it works pretty slick.

Awesome tool, especially for the guys converting to serpentine belts.

And a good tip for the gen III hemi guys. With a crack like that their is no way to get proper tension.

I noticed that even brand new pulleys have a bit of wobble in them. The fact that the crack was hidden on the backside of the tensioner, and that it only made to high pitch sound when wet, really made me crazy for a couple of weeks.
If I can, I like to make my own parts. Just to say "I did that." About 5 years ago I made an alt. bracket to adapt a 78 amp gm unit to a 340 LA. Mostly because of the Amperage, and I'm cheap, $ 5.00 at the junkyard. It took a week of hand grinding about 10 hunks of aluminum. Each time there was no squealing just a diminishing amount of black V belt dust as I got it closer, and closer. I tried a Stanley laser guide, and it helped, but it only got me in the neighborhood. Good tools are worth every cent. Thanks for turning me onto that laser guide.

Attachments

• lk.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 241
Most tensioner pullies like that have a raised notch on the side about a 1/8th inch long used to check if its too weak or not. The notch on the arm should line up within the 1/8th inch raised notch on the body.

I agree with the OP, tensioner OR the idler pulley is a very common culprit. I have had to replace one on two different engines.

-
Back