general body work question

-

OL DODGE

Reaction score
I sometimes get farmed out from the shop where I work -I go down the street to a body shop and notice the guy tearing off accident damaged sheet metal with no welds and ask him about it and he says the factory "glues" a lot of panels now and it"s as strong as welding. That gets me thinking ( OH OH !) : why can't you flange a seam and glue quarter panels on? or for that matter , glue console brackets ,etc ? I was briefly talking to another guy there about removing the wheel chair brackets off the roof of my car and he said never weld up the holes-just drop the headliner , clean the area down to bare metal and use "All Metal " to fill the holes- does that sound right ???? I'm a brake/ front end/ mechanical dude so any advise is really helpful !!!

Yep, When we put the quarter on my Scamp it was tack welded where needed and glued around the wheel well. Almost 10 years now and still looks like new. Hell most of the new cars don't have many bolts, they just snap together like Legos.

When I did my quarter panels 15 years ago I didn't have access to a welder. So I pop riveted them into place and filled the seam with fiberglass resin on the inside and bondoed the outside and then filed the rivets down. It has lasted this long and still looks good.

20181009_171254.jpg

20181027_010027.jpg

The body shops were bonding panels on for years.
Was a big thing for a while.
But i saw the results after a few winters, not good.

For summer drivers i think it would be good. I have welders so its not something i would try.
I patched the floor in my power wagon 20 years ago with sheet metal and fiberglass,it held up well until i flipped up a branch and it came through the floor....

We have bonded panels for years as well on daily drivers. I have seen more rot at welded panels because it burnt off the galvanization.

Any data on using adhesive to install floor patch panels?
IF I did ot have access to just a small hobby grde mig at least, I wold cut out the rust, cut out patch from sheet steel (18ga) or a store bought patch panel, and screw it down till I cold weld it up! BUT
I am old and old fashioned.

Back in the mid 90'sI wanted to do a vette, so I picked up a decent 68 or9 was it, and replaced the fenders, they come in 2 parts and are glued together, I forget what the vette guys ( and me) used to glue fiberglass!! I learned one thing, I do not ant any more vettes or fiberglass work!!!! lol

Has any one replaced a panel that was glued on by another body man? I have done at least 5 box sides on pick ups that were glued on and welded it the corners. The guys that did them all did them the right way so not putting anyone down. I have seen rust between the panels and really like to remove them it's fast and easy compared to welded ones.
I live in farm country the farmers are hard on there trucks and would not glue a box side or anything that will get a lot of stress like lots of horse power.
Glue is fine in the right place but remember we or most of us are working on a uni body car and every panel is part of the frame.
Just what I believe not trying to argue.

-
Back