General questions from a new owner

-

attack tiger

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm a new owner of a '74 Duster. I may have "met" some of you on the welcome wagon already. I have a few questions that I'm hoping some of you can help me with.

First: the front wheels seem to be farther apart than the rears, leaving the rears looking more "tucked in" than the fronts. Is this my imagination? Or were these cars actually built this way? It was an original 225 car, and the original rear end (7 1/4, I think?) is still on there, if that's relevant. Is there a common way to remedy this without using spacers?

Second: My rear is sagging like I have a trunk full of cinderblocks, and I can't afford new leaf springs right now, so I was looking at some helpers from JC Whitney for 50 bucks. Does anybody have any first-hand experience with these? Will they pick up the rear and help with the stance for now?

Third: My U-joints are making a hell of a lot of noise. They clunk when I shift into gear and when the tranny downshifts on decel, and I'm almost positive they're the source of the rotational squeaking coming from beneath me on acceleration. They have grease fittings, but it looks like I have to remove the driveshaft to access them. Should I just replace them when I take the shaft down, or do you guys think pumping some grease into them will cure my problem?

Lastly: There is some oil leaking from where the bell housing meets the engine. My first thought on this is that the rear main seal is bad, but the guy I bought it from still swears that it was changed about five thousand miles ago. Could my leak be something else back there? Or is the guy just lying to me for no reason?

I know this has been a long post, so thanks in advance to anyone willing to share his thoughts and opinions.

The rear track I believe is narrower on those cars. They are commonly referred to as "roller skates" around here when they have the narrow wheels on them. Find yourself some wider stock rims, or mags that have a more positive offset, or just install some wider tires and it should look more even.
As for the sagging, I have used helper springs in the past, they are ok, but you can get a bouncy ride. You might try air shocks instead until you can get new springs. It's not uncommon for a leaf or two in the rear to be cracked, even on /6 cars, making them sag down real bad.
U should be able to spin the driveshaft enough in the car to grease the fittings, but replace them before you have a mishap.
Oil leakage from an old engine... get used to it I guess. If your sure the source of the oil leak is the rear main, then it's still leaking. You might check the top of the engine (valve cover, oil sender on the side, etc) to see if oil is traveling around to the rear while driving.
Hope this helps. I'm sure you'll get lots of advice here.

First let me say I am not a tec, But I would check the back space on your front wheels, They may have less back space then your rears, or vise aversa
I would pull the drive shaft and change the u-joints, if they are squeaking they may have not got greased before they was installed and it's a cheep fix, Me, I would have to take it to a shop and let them change them or let my son change them for me 8)
The rear seal could have been changed out, How much is it leaking ?
I put air shocks on my 66 till I can but new springs in, I have never used helpers on a car before
I am sure some help will be here soon 8)

Thanks for the quick responses, guys! GTS, I'm kinda partial to my rallye wheels and I'd rather not change them. When I change the rear end to an 8 3/4, will that fix the issue? Do those axles have a wider track to them? I didn't think to check for cracked leafs. From a quick glance, they just look worn out. I didn't consider air shocks. It has some old-ish Monroe gas shocks all around and I plan to change them out, as well. Will new shocks alone help? Or will the lack of spring in the leafs just compress it?

As for the oil...it's not leaking anywhere else. The engine is only a few thousand miles since a total rebuild and I just went all through it and tightened all the bolts from the usual suspects and cleaned it up. It's all still clean after a few hundred miles, and the only oil that's leaking is pooling in the bottom of the bell housing. I still say it's the rear main, but I thought I'd ask if there is anything else back there that was just slipping my mind.

Memike, I think you're right on about the u-joints. I'll just change them both out and call it a day.

Another question I forgot to ask: My 904 is a three-speed. I want to say my old '83 Ram from back in the day had a four-speed. I'm I crazy? If it DID have a four-speed, can I convert mine, or do I just need to replace it? Thanks again!

AttackTiger...
As for the differences in wheel tracks front vs. rear, there is a real easy explaination.
The early cars had a real narrow engine compartment (try putting headers on a 1966 273 Dart).
In 67, the compartment and wheel track was widened about 2 or 3 inches but the rear was not-for 2 reasons.

You would have to change in outer wheel houses in the back as the tires are very close to the outer edge and that would make you change the 1/4 panels.
Cheaper to leave the back of the car alone.

i.ve had a set of coil over rear shocks for years as mine snaged real bad too. there maid as a unit not add on. if they are still made air shock will work to but ride hard. 8 3/4 are hard to find some time the 8 1/4 i have in mine works find but like the 8 3/4 the drive shaft will need changed. if i got i pic i will post

P1011153.jpg

-
Back