General Slant and Gas/Octane ???

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Okay so my slant 6 runs pretty good regardless of what octane gas I put in but I have found higher octane gas changes the driving range. What I have found is low octane gives me good take off mid grade gives me good mid range power the 50-70 range and I have not tried premium yet. Is this normal or do I possibly have something off? Also I idle better with mid grade.

Any other variables like where you buy your fuel. Not all gasoline is the same regardless of octane rating. Here's some propaganda about fuel quality

http://www.toptiergas.com/why.html

If you buy your gas at a small time no brand station you never know what you are going to get. I like to stick with the big stations like mobil, bp, 76, shell. At least you know who refines their fuel for them.

You only need a high enough octane rating to prevent detonation.

If your engine doesn't detonate on regular, running mid or super is pissing money away.

I get my gas from the same place all the time. In the south it is called RaceTrack. They are pretty large here.

1968FormualS340 I don't really understand what you are saying. My car runs fine on both mid and regular but the power band changes slightly.

What I was trying to find out was if I may have my timing/carburetor or something off would it cause the symptoms I am seeing.

What are the octane ratings listed on the pump you are using? What is the alcohol content? The alcohol content can have a very large effect on idle quality. I used to see a negative reaction when going from 87 to 89 in my old volare. The 89 had 10% alcohol and it wouldn't idle as smooth as with the 87 straight non alcohol gasoline. I did a google search on racetrac gas stations and couldn't find their supplier. I suspect alcohol differences, but I could be wrong.

I get my gas from the same place all the time. In the south it is called RaceTrack. They are pretty large here.

1968FormualS340 I don't really understand what you are saying. My car runs fine on both mid and regular but the power band changes slightly.

What I was trying to find out was if I may have my timing/carburetor or something off would it cause the symptoms I am seeing.

octane is the resistance to detonation... the higher the octane, the higher compression you can run with out it per-igniting... but its harder to burn...

so... by running a higher octane that what is needed you'll slow down due to it having to work harder to fire the charge...

for a stock slant pump piss is fine... run 87 with out a second thought... but if you can find 87 without alcohol in it even better...

So 805MoparKid does that mean my timing may be slightly more advanced then it needs? Based on what I understand you are saying it sounds like my timing need to be retarded to help the lower octane gas ignite early?

So 805MoparKid does that mean my timing may be slightly more advanced then it needs? Based on what I understand you are saying it sounds like my timing need to be retarded to help the lower octane gas ignite early?

no no... give it as much timing as it wont ping (Max 32* total not including vac adv)or kick back on starting HOT...

Retarding will reduce detonation and allow you to run a lower octane. If you want to run regular, just fill it up with regular and then advance it until it begins to detonate/hard start and retard it a hair from there. When a modern vehicle with engine management's knock sensor picks up detonation (could be from low octane gas) it retards the timing to reduce detonation. Same theory applies here, if you run a lower octane, retard your timing. You will not by any stretch of the imagination be able to set up your timing with premium to the point that it's almost detonating, then expect to run 87 fine. Modern vehicles can adapt to that, these old mammoths can not.

I've also noticed... if you get the timing right on the detonation borderline and the gas stations switch from winter grade fuel (typically pre memorial day) to summer grade (different oxygenates- aka additives) you will notice a slight performance drop and possibly the need to tweak timing in order to get her back up to snuff.

-
Back