generally excited, progress on 1997 Ram, had to tell someone

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
My 1997 Ram DD is down.
We slid standard size rod bearings in 6 months ago.
It now has main bearing knock. 318 with 5 speed, 2wd with 207K. Previous owner had 5th wheel in it, as the holes are in the bed and the bolts on the frame. It has not had it easy.

I got it to a buddies house and we started tear down last night. With the exception of starter wiring, bellhousing bolts, and motor mounts, the engine is ready to come out! We made killer progress!!

Long ago, I ditched the mechanical fan, for dual electrics. There is literally enough room for me to stand betwen the radiator and the block, and work. What a dream. EVERYTHING came out nice, we actully caught most of the antifreeze in the bucket, didn't break any clips, it went perfect. We pulled valve cover (my first time) and it is not TOO bad inside, some buildup, but not sludge.

Plans are tear down, crank kit, gasket kit, a little Port and Polish on heads:snakeman:, and take some time to clean and paint all the bracketry, etc. I will probably throw a clutch in at the same time.

Sounds like a good night of progress :cheers: I loved working on my old 1/8 truck :happy10:
Like you said you can get in there with the engine and have your way with it :cheers:
Good to hear you are enjoying the repairs with a friend and everything is going smooth Backtobasics :happy10:

Generally disgusted

Motor is out.
Had fun tearing it apart.
Didn't even get to the bottom end yet. Bottom end may be ok, but one of the cam lobes is not. :angry7:
The roller lifter is fine, but the lob has some deterioration at the top of the lobe, it appears to be some porisity in the casting. I am wondering if this is the noise I am hearing or not?

In the end, it may be the culprit or not. At this point I am going to throw another motor in it, and set this one to the side, for now. Perhaps it is the foundation for a build for another car.

:angry7:

-
Back