Geo's 1969 Swinger 340 thread

-
I love my 20 ton shop press. One of the best purchases that I made.

I painted the upper and lower control arms - went with black for both (sorry purists!). This weekend I pulled the steering box off and took the steering column out. I'll box up the steering box soon and mail it off to Firm Feel for a rebuild and a 20:1 gear inside of it. I'm going to let them remove and replace the pitman arm too. :) I cleaned most of the gunk off the box - just can't make myself ship it filthy.

I was just a bit surprised that Mopar used a 12 point bolt head to attach the steering box. For the roll pin I had to make a "custom" tool by sacrificing another. I was filthy and didn't feel like getting clean to go out....

Now that I have the column out, are there components in there I should rebuild as well? Please feel free to make any suggestions for me while I am at this stage - here's a few pics:

Attachments

• SAM_1489.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 12 Point steering box bolt smaller.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 191
  • SAM_1507.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 162
  • SAM_1508.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 154
  • SAM_1518.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 165
  • SAM_1517.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 166
  • SAM_1523.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 169
  • SAM_1527.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 153
  • SAM_1525.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 168
PS:
I must be thick headed - I can't figure out how to upload photos and place text between them - like captions. Makes it hard for y'all to read and for me to explain what I am talking about.... What am I missing?

My box was mailed out today. Should be there NLT Thursday. It barely fit inside of a USPS Priority box (Large). If I could have removed the FN pitman arm, it would have fit into a smaller box.... Meh.

There's a 3 week turnaround on them. I'm good with all that.

I'll work on the new sway bar bushings while I wait.

George

It is great that you have the early story of your car, you are adding to it now. Have fun and document your part of its story.

George it looks like you are making great progress, you will enjoy it so much when you are done.

-
Back