getting a car title.. what to do...help please

-

1971dodgedart/6

Reaction score
my girl bought a 1967 olds cutlass. good deal. but it doesnt have a title. we have a bunch of paperwork from the guy who old it and well before i contact the dmv, what should we have ready? thank you. -travis

NY state or..........Take a Digital pic of VIN,,,,,,also take a pencil and paper and rub on VIN so that you can read it......fill for lost tilte form at DMV

I don't know where you are located but anytime you purchase a car that is not currently register (or in your case - without a title), you should always contact DMV first to see what its status is. Sometimes, you can end up paying more in back registration that the purchase price of the car.

Also, you want to make sure that the paperwork isn't dirty. I am hoping that is goes smoothly for you and your gal and all you have to do is file for a new title. Depending on the state, sometimes, you can file for it and sometimes, the previous owner has to. Also, I hope all that paperwork you received from him shows him as the most recent owner of the car and included in that paperwork are past registration notices and a current BOS (Bill of Sale). Good luck.

were from nj. it was bought from a service station, apparently the old guy died and so the car was left in the mechanics hands, thats who she bought it from. we have alot of paperwork, ill look for registrations and get a copy of the vin. maybe a call to the dmv (i hate the dmv) would tell me exactly what i need. thank you

were from nj. it was bought from a service station, apparently the old guy died and so the car was left in the mechanics hands, thats who she bought it from. we have alot of paperwork, ill look for registrations and get a copy of the vin. maybe a call to the dmv (i hate the dmv) would tell me exactly what i need. thank you

But if we didn't have this anyone could just take anyones car. Thanks god we are just alking about a Push-o-let.

Buy an issue of Hemmings. There will be companies in there that can get you the paperwork you need to register that car. I have done it before, IIRC it cost me about $150.

International Title

They are out of Las Vegas.

Dunno if it's much different where you live, but here in colorado, it's a pain in the butt to get a new title.

So far, here's the method the state wants me to take.

First, do a VIN search, and see if they can locate the car under the VIN. This will include the previous owner, any outstanding leins on the car, and its legal status.

Once you have the VIN, you have to make attempts to contact the previous owner (Or next of kin) and ensure that they still do not hold the title, or have any claim on the car. If you can't reach them, you need proof that you attempted to contact them. (Photocopies of letters, printouts of emails, etc.) If you do reach them, you need a signed letter indicating that they do not currently have the title, and have no interest or claim on the car.

You must also have a signed, notarized bill of sale. Indicating purchase date, amount purchased for, and a record of the cars VIN and mileage.

Then, the car needs to be examined by a representative of the state department of motor vehicles, to ensure that it is road-legal. A car must have working brake lights, headlights, turn signal indicators, windshield wipers, and a muffler that doesn't violate your areas noise ordinances. If the car isn't running at this inspections, then you must demonstrate all but the muffler, and then have it re-examined once it is in running shape. You ahve to take the car to them, they don't come to you. You can usualyl obtain a temporary one-day tag plate to complete this step, if you must drive the car.

Finally, once all that is complete (And must be completed within 60 days of bill of sale) then the car must be emission tested.

So, get all that done, and fill out the new title request paperwork, and finally, Colorado will issue you a new title.

I may be missing a step, but that's pretty much all my paperwork right there.

Or, what I'm doing, is going through a third-party company (www.broadwaytitle.com, in my case). They "purchase" the car from you, register it in their state (Usually alabama or georgia, because title laws are more relaxed there.) and then "Sell it back" to you for a flat fee ($160 or so) and include a registration, and a writ of state title, indicating that the new title for your car is held in that state. Then, you just walk in the the bill of sale, the registration, and the title writ, and in some states, your emissions test slip, and you should be able to then title and reigster the car.

-
Back