getting a carb and intake..question

-

1966 dart wagon

Reaction score
im buying a holley 1850 (600cfm) i dunno about the secondaries. carb and edlebrock intake (rpm) from a guy i work with. it came off of a 318 and i wanted to know how hard it will be to rebuild the kit is $22, and im buying everything (w/o kit) for $100. how does that sound to me it sounded good, one note though the ventura tube on the top of the carb, where the air cleaner meets with the car, its some what torn any thoughts here?

this will be my second rebuild on a carb, 1st for a 4bbl holley, but i will be having my dad and friends helping me. any thoughts on this, i was going to buy the haynes holley manual just for the hell of it, plus i need something to read tomorrow while im on the road for a road trip. Any thoughts, i hear holleys are a pain to keep running right, but when running good they are the best, thoughts? concerns? :thumbup:

should be a piece of cake to rebuild. Not sure about the damaged area you are talking about. If its on the airhorn it should not be an issue. Maybe just file it smooth an call it good (while its apart). The price sounds very good as well.

the carb numbers are:

1850-2

o and the intake is a performer, my bad

I now have a rebuild kit for it and i got a Haynes manual on holly carbs, unfortunately this model isn't covered specifically. any good sites out there for rebuilding these, I'll have help but id like to know as much as possible before i dig into her

0601071358.jpg

Should work fine on a 318. The 1850 is a pretty simple carb, and a good intro into Holley carbs. It has vacuum secondaries and should have a 6.5 power valve stock. Be careful with the fuel crossover tube, those can leak.

Holley carbs aren't a pain to keep running right any more than any other carb. The power valves can blow if you backfire through the carb, and they tend to leak more than an AFB. But an 1850 is simple and reliable. Remember over 99% of "carb" problems are the ignition system.

As for manuals, try to score the Holley Carbs book by SA designs. Amazon should have it if it is still in print, Powells may if it isn't.

-
Back