Getting clunk type sound when braking hard

-

gtgto

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
70 Duster manual disc brakes up front. Newer calipers and front suspension, bushings, shocks and wheel alignment. I thought it was brake related. Bled my brakes over the weekend and had a helper this time instead of my do it yourself bleeder kit. Took her out for a ride and the brakes do work much better than previously but this clunk sound which seems to be coming from the front of the car is annoying. I don't know what it could be. The car doesn't pull any way when braking hard. Something my not have been tightened properly when the dumb *** reassembled everything. I'm the dumbass. Could a bent strut rod cause what I'm describing? I know I did bend one on disassembly but I straightened it out the best I can.

My 70 Dart was doing that when I bought it. Checked the front calipers, and the left one had a loose bolt! Tightened it up good, and the sound went away. I've seen this happen more than once. Double check and re tighten the caliper attaching bolts.

My 70 Dart was doing that when I bought it. Checked the front calipers, and the left one had a loose bolt! Tightened it up good, and the sound went away. I've seen this happen more than once. Double check and re tighten the caliper attaching bolts.
I will give that a shot. If that's not it I'll check and re tighten everything I have done previously. Thanks

Ditto

I have seen rotors and drums that were aggressively machined ,like groves in a record, causing a noise ?

I had a little time to kill after work and before my sons hockey practice so I jacked up my car and started searching for issues. Took off the drivers side front wheel and went to re tighten the caliper and I noticed I had put the nut on the strut rod end that passes through the lower control arm but the end was flush with the nut and had at least 3/8 of an inch of threads. Put a socket on and tightened it down till I couldn’t anymore. That would be awesome if that was my issue. I checked out everything on the passenger side and all looked good. That would be fantastic if that was my issue. Won’t get a chance to test it out till later this week or the weekend. Thanks again for pointing me further in the right direction. I love this site.

Make sure the bend-over tabs on the brake pads are crimped tight against the body of the caliper.

Strut rod loose?
Finally got a chance to take my car out to test it out after tightening the strut rod on the drivers side that was not tightened very well originally by me and after my 13 year old son and I bled the brakes. Brakes work great now and no more clunking noise. I did have an issue driving at around 40 MPH and all of a sudden I had no power. Lost all lights and was able to pull over to a safe area. Popped the hood and called AAA. After I arranged to have a flatbed pick me up I thought back to my younger days driving my 68 Impala and it would just die exactly like my car did. It was a bad ground. I checked my battery connections which are tightened down good. I moved the cable part which is clamped on with the correct type end and then when I turned the lights on they came on. Got in and she fired up. Closed the hood and started driving home. Called AAA to cancel and the guy I talked to said...How cool, I have a 72 340 Duster. He saw that I had a 70 Duster. I'll check things better and maybe even find an original type ground cable to install this week.

-
Back