Getting my first ink in 20 minutes. :)

-

J-MacsMopars

Shade Tree Vintage Auto on YouTube
Reaction score
I am getting my first two tats in 20 minutes. Little nervous, but excited. :) any advice?

I was a tattoo artist for 10 years (don't have much time for it any more).....but honestly its not as bad as what most people think. your arms are the easiest place to get them on pain wise.

advise wise, don't focus on it if it hurts....find something to talk with the artist about and before you know it you will be done. try not to jerk around because you don't want an ugly looking tattoo from wiggling lol.

of course make sure that everything the artist pulls out is clean sterilized equipment and that the needles are brand new removed from blister packs right in front of your eyes.

as for after care, do not scratch or pick at them. when taking a shower do not let water spray directly on the tattoos. pat dry when done...not rub dry. use A&D ointment on them for 3 days....make sure it always stays shiny.....if its not shiny then its dry and dry is no good. after 3 days switch to a NON scented white lotion.

and of course.....make sure it what you REALLY want....because its permanent lol

Sleeved both arms & legs....don't tense up, just relax. The outline was the most annoying for me. Discomfort has a lot to do with where you are getting it, and your pain tolerance. Big meaty parts are less annoying than right on a bone, or the ditch of the knee. Remember, no public water (swimming pools, gym hot tubs etc.) until you are healed. I used Bag Balm, very light coat when it when ever it is dry....next shower will be interesting, pat it dry after wards. NO PICKING of the scab as it is healing......STAY OUT OF THE SUN, NO WELDING ETC. until it is healed. For me sunscreen would not stop it from fading when in the sun, coverage with fabric is necessary. Kind of sucks going out on nice days wearing jeans and a cotton shirt, but then again skin cancer sucks.....

Nothin to it. I got my first one recently. Not bad at all.

As I said to my daughter just before I walked her down the isle. There's still time to change your mind.

Good advice.

I really have no issues with tats, or the people who have them. On the other hand, I have no desire to get a tat. I'm 62 years old, and I've hung with crowds where tats were second nature. Still, I never wanted one.
I've always viewed them as voluntary scars, and worse yet, identifying marks. lol

not trying to start an argument, it's merely my 2¢. I make no claims to right or wrong. It's just not right for me.

One more thing, most people can not stop at just one.....and if this applies to you get ready to be stared at and stereotyped......

One more thing, most people can not stop at just one.....and if this applies to you get ready to be stared at and stereotyped......

Agreed. it normally doesnt stop at just one. And I also agree that sadly alot of people out there see ink and automatically think criminal or ex con or hardened biker or whatever the case. But if those people could look past the stereo types they would see that many of the "tattooed crowed" go to church, have families,are school teachers ect...ect...

People have the right to not personally want them....thats fine......the ones that get me are the people that assume your a bad person because of them.

As I said to my daughter just before I walked her down the isle. There's still time to change your mind.
+1 I have 4 and there are certain times that I wear a long sleeve shirt to hide them. I'm not embarrassed by them but they are inappropriate for certain situations(Court, Job Interviews,) My advice is don't get them anywhere you can't at least cover them up like your neck & Face.

Agreed. it normally doesnt stop at just one. And I also agree that sadly alot of people out there see ink and automatically think criminal or ex con or hardened biker or whatever the case. But if those people could look past the stereo types they would see that many of the "tattooed crowed" go to church, have families,are school teachers ect...ect...

People have the right to not personally want them....thats fine......the ones that get me are the people that assume your a bad person because of them.
Have been asked more than once what I ride. Used to laugh when it was a sport bike. My wife always laughs when we go some where and I am in shorts and a t-shirt, I get all kinds of looks from people. What really strikes people odd is when I hold the door open for people, will take there shopping cart form them when I am walking by or get the car door for me wife. A few weeks ago there was an elderly couple in Costco with a couple of bags of dog food, I stopped and put them in there car for them. The woman was speechless.....

+1 I have 4 and there are certain times that I wear a long sleeve shirt to hide them. I'm not embarrassed by them but they are inappropriate for certain situations(Court, Job Interviews,) My advice is don't get them anywhere you can't at least cover them up like your neck & Face.
When I made the decision to get sleeved I visited Tim, my Tattoo artist, with a long sleeve shirt on once. Had him put a very faint line just above the ends of the sleeves so we knew where to stop. My back piece runs up out of the collar, but is barely visible.

after 10 minutes you will hardly think about it. Some spots are tender, On the bone feels weird, inside of the arm on the tendon is fun but really what Ive had done (3/4s of my left arm) wasnt bad.

Welcome to you new addiction.

I got them and I survived. :)
c4128f2f.jpg

6f2d2f12.jpg

I am pretty happy with them.

I heard something a little bit ago. The difference between people with tattoos and without them is that people with tattoos don't complained about those without them.

I'm not to worried what people think, that's why I drive mopar

Just curious....what was the reason behind the stars?

I love Chuck Taylor all-star shoes and therefore wanted stars. That also kind of signifies the placement even though they are a little higher and bigger than the star on the all-stars. I didn't really want just a solid star and I like the design of the nautical star. So I did some research on the nautical star and it has some meanings that I like such as a guide to help find your way. They are also symbolic in the punk scene and I love underground punk music and have since I was 16. So it has a few meanings to me.

Nice tats. I've wanted to get one in an on-again, off-again state for about 6 years now. The only thing stopping me, is that I change my mind more often than I change my underwear and know as soon as the ink is dry, I'll wish I'd gotten something else, lol.

Nice tats. I've wanted to get one in an on-again, off-again state for about 6 years now. The only thing stopping me, is that I change my mind more often than I change my underwear and know as soon as the ink is dry, I'll wish I'd gotten something else, lol.

I never had the desire but I see nothing wrong with tattoos except as others mentioned if they make it hard to get hired. Based on my younger brother's experience, my advice to anyone would be consider waiting til after you're 30 and see if you still want to do it. My brother says he wishes he'd never gotten his, even though they are inconspicuous.

I'm 29, so pretty close to the 30 mark. I do plan to get a few more. As of rite now, everything is planed to be where I can be in jeans and a short sleeve shirt and you would never know I had them.

Those nautical stars look good.

I don't have ink, and I don't mind people who do. However, some tats are just plain awful...either poorly done, bad design/idea, or the newest trend (barbed wire, dolphins, butterflies, etc.)

Oh, here is a fine example of a poorly implemented tattoo idea. It's suppossed to be a baby holding mommy's finger, but....well......looks like a step-by-step instruction manual for a blonde prostitute.

To reiterate...not against tats, but hope people contemplate the idea, find a good artist, and the artist isn't afraid to tell the person whether it's a good idea or not. I would have more respect for an artist who refused to attach their name to a tat than to just do it for the money.

Attachments

• tattoo.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 509
-
Back