Getting oil out of cloth seats

-

mattq

Reaction score
O.k. guys I have a friend that left a quart of oil in her dodge ram on the passenger side of the seat and in this incredible heat we had last week it burst. :( What is the best way to get that crap out??

thanks

To do it properly I would remove the cover and use a lot of detergent and water on the cover. The seat foam has probably soaked up a fair amount of the oil too. Unless someone has a better idea, ( I hope), I would try to get as much out by blotting with paper towels. Press down hard and change towels often. I once used brake clean to remove an oil spill on a cloth seat but it was small and the car was a beater. If the oil isn't removed from the foam it may come up when sat on and dirty up clothes. Good luck and please let us know what you did and how it turned out.

He's right.......the seat has to come out, and the cover has to come off.......it's the only way to get it out.......any other attempt and you'll see the oil keep reappearing, and getting into people's clothes too.......

Take it apart and clean it completely with Dawn dishwash and barrels of water.

Removing the cover is a given. I would presoak it for a day or so in just enough warm (not hot) water to completely cover it, with two full measures of a good brand of liquid laundry detergent. Then I'd run it through a good washing machine, but only if I had the front-loading kind -- the top-load kind with an agitator would likely screw up the cover; if that's what I had I'd take the cover directly to the cleaners and have them dry-clean it. Maybe I'd save myself the hassle and just do that as the first step anyhow.

The foam's likely going to need replaced; you will have a VERY difficult time getting all the oil out of it and it will soak into the cloth cover again. If you can get most of it out, put an oilproof liner layer between the foam and the cover when you or your upholstery shop reassembles the seat.

Removing the cover is a given. I would presoak it for a day or so in just enough warm (not hot) water to completely cover it, with two full measures of a good brand of liquid laundry detergent. Then I'd run it through a good washing machine, but only if I had the front-loading kind -- the top-load kind with an agitator would likely screw up the cover; if that's what I had I'd take the cover directly to the cleaners and have them dry-clean it. Maybe I'd save myself the hassle and just do that as the first step anyhow.

The foam's likely going to need replaced; you will have a VERY difficult time getting all the oil out of it and it will soak into the cloth cover again. If you can get most of it out, put an oilproof liner layer between the foam and the cover when you or your upholstery shop reassembles the seat.
Good point. I couldn't agree more/

my son sat a pint of gear oil on my back seat in my ram I took the seat out soaked it with (gunk) degreaser left it soak for about 1/2 hr.then put water nozzle close to seat and sprayed it tell water came out the bottom clear then took (dawn) dish washing soap mixed it up heavy put in a sprayer and soaked it again repeat with water then took air hose (120psi.)and put the blower on the seat and blew it Dry..that's what id did and my wife never knew it..but it did take about 3 weeks for it to dry completely.being a front seat you might want to put a folded towel on it to set on...for awhile..hope this helps......Artie

For instantaneous oil removal from cloth, wet the cloth with water, spray cloth with brake cleaner and vacuum immediatley.
The brake cleaner will disolve the oil, the water will absorb the mixture and the vacuum will take it away.

gojo hand cleaner works well.

-
Back