Getting ready for paint

-

PostalBGraham

Reaction score
I got almost all of the chrome off the 'Cuda. It's in the paint shop today. The only trim I didn't take off was the window trim, the door handles, and the mirror. I'm really looking forward to seeing her done!

Ready01 (Small).jpg

Ether I have forgotten or PostalBGraham has not maid up his mind.
I have forgotten!! :salute:
What color will it return home with?:blob:
You wont sleep a wink tonight.
Congratulations.:salute:

All that hard work you've already done, you should just pull ther est of the trim off & avoind any tape lines. Just my .02

The car will remain black. Only, instead of 33 year old paint, it'll be new with clear coat over top! The rest of the trim will come off at the paint shop. I thought it would be easier to move around with the door handles intact. When he removes the door panels to take the door handles off, he can get the mirror, too.

All that hard work you've already done, you should just pull ther est of the trim off & avoind any tape lines. Just my .02

These were my sentiments as well. You might remove those headlight buckets and let them do the front of the fenders and core support while it`s down this far. It`s good to see the rest of the trim will be removed so that paint can glide on! Can`t wait for pic`s, black is the "sweetest thing" on a straight body!!!

Well, the body man finally got my car done. I'm well pleased! We are in the process of rounding up and restoring all the odds and ends (kickdown linkage, pulleys, radiator fittings, etc. The new torque convertor is also on order, to be delivered next week. I'm posting a few pics of the progress.

BodyWork01(Small).jpg

BodyWork02(Small).jpg

NewPaint01 (Small).jpg

NewPaint02 (Small).jpg

Engine01 (Small).jpg

Engine02 (Small).jpg

Engine03 (Small).jpg

TrannyParts (Small).jpg

Starting to look great ! I see a whole bunch of wet sanding in your future.
My dad had a black Supra. You could wash it, wax it, polish it, detail it and if you breath on it, it shows.

looking good! gotta love an all black car. gotta hate keeping it clean, though. what part of northwestern PA you in? i grew up in Kane.

Michael

How much did the body work and the paint end up costing you for the whole car? Im curious because I would like to do the same to my fastback but in red. Thanks

The car is a '67.

The price of the body work and paint job was $3725.00. Of that amount, $1710.00 was paid by my insurance company. The paint job included the engine bay, but not the trunk.

Well, I've learned way too much in the last couple months. I've learned about small block engine mounts...273, 318, 340 are all different, thanks Ma Mopar! I've learned about 8 3/4 yokes and corresponding U-joints. I learned a little too late on that one. It cost me $325 for a set of 323 posi gears and a large yoke. I have the 294 posi gears and small yoke on a shelf now. I've learned that '69 Barracuda radiators bolt in differently than '67 and 68. I've learned that large diameter headers are a royal pain in the rear. I've learned that gear reduction, high torque starters use a different wire harness than my old '67. I could go on, but won't. Each night we worked on the car, we found new things that didn't fit properly. I'd set out to find the correct part, or some other solution. Anyway, it's almost done. I'm still waiting on plug wires from Mancini Racing and PCV and Breather purchased on e-bay. I know some of you guys don't like e-bay, but I've done really well. Everything I've needed, I've been able to find.

I took some pics of the engine bay. As soon as I get the plug wires, we'll fire her for the first time, hopefully Tuesday night.

Most of the trim is on now. All we need to do is the grill, lights, and front bumper.

340-1 (Small).jpg

340-2 (Small).jpg

340-3 (Small).jpg

340-4 (Small).jpg

340-5 (Small).jpg

looks great! the end is near! wait til you put in the grilles. the car will look so much different.

what part about the rad from a 69 not fitting? was it in fact an a body rad? what #'s were on it?

The radiator is an after-market, but came out of a '69 340 Barracuda. The holes in the bracket did not match up with the holes in my supports. The holes in the '69 were an inch higher. I compared the '69 to my '67 and the radiator was 1/2 inch taller, too. I went over to a buddy's garage to inspect his cars, '68 and '69 Barracudas. His '69 was the same as the after-market one I got off of e-bay, bracket holes in the same place and 1/2" taller than his '68. We ended up drilling new holes in the supports.

The radiator is an after-market, but came out of a '69 340 Barracuda. The holes in the bracket did not match up with the holes in my supports. The holes in the '69 were an inch higher. I compared the '69 to my '67 and the radiator was 1/2 inch taller, too. I went over to a buddy's garage to inspect his cars, '68 and '69 Barracudas. His '69 was the same as the after-market one I got off of e-bay, bracket holes in the same place and 1/2" taller than his '68. We ended up drilling new holes in the supports.

i guess i am lost. i have a rad for a 72 a body v8 that bolted up just fine in my car (68 cuda). i have to see this to understand it better.

Very, Very, Nice - the black looks great and that engine should be a
blast!!

We finished (amost) putting on all the trim on Tuesday. I still need to get the passenger side V8 emblem and antenna on. Other than that, it's done. We got it started, but didn't run it long, it was getting late, and we were afraid the neighbors wouldn't like the open headers. Anyway, we moved it today to a local shop known for good exhaust work. They will start on it tomorrow.

Another friend showed up in his '68, so I took a couple pics. We adjusted the timing and did a few other little things, and it sounds great. I'm happy with the paint job, and am looking forward to getting her home. I need to get new tires put on the Cragars, but I have to finish burning off what tread remains on the old ones!

Larry's01 (Small).jpg

Larry's02 (Small).jpg

black barracudas are known to be more aggressive than their other colorful seamates and can bite with no antagonizing. WATCH OUT!!!!!

-
Back