Getting screwed over on a payment for a parts purchase?

-
You need to go back thru your transactions and see who you sent the money to? As mentioned, 1 digit/number different in an email address and the receiving person could be clear across the planet to whom it was intended. I'd be pi$$ed if I was outed as a seller and it was the buyers fault!

You need to go back thru your transactions and see who you sent the money to? As mentioned, 1 digit/number different in an email address and the receiving person could be clear across the planet to whom it was intended. I'd be pi$$ed if I was outed as a seller and it was the buyers fault!
Exactly!! Not sure why people are piling on the seller when the OP may have sent the money to the wrong person. If that's the case, it's not the seller's fault, or Paypal's for that matter. You've gotta double and triple check the address before hitting the send button.

i missed a . in an address 1 time. luckily there was no one that had that acct. i simply added the missing . and away it went. good luck sir.

Ive written a dozen times about not paying family and friends
Amazes me how people will cheap out over 3%
Ive had some sellers that ive done business with in the FBBO forum ask me to send funds F&F and the answer is always NO ......Add the 3% and I will add it to the price no problem

if you show yourself to be a deceitful person then you have what's coming to you. I'm sure any employer would want to know if their managers were conniving and dishonest as well as vindictive and peddled in retaliation.

I gave him several options to do right and come to an agreement as adults. he lost the ebay transaction so he decided to go after me publicly and endanger my livelihood. when called on that and asked to back down he was childish and disagreeable.

play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
The place I just left had what is probably the current standard HR employee policy/code of conduct. Your behavior outside of the company still reflects on the company's reputation, social media posts, public interactions & behavior. They don't want or need prospective customers/clients etc. thinking, "if this is the kind of assclown they're willing to hire &/or employ, I'll move on", it's not fair to the rest of the employees either...

Ive written a dozen times about not paying family and friends
Amazes me how people will cheap out over 3%
Ive had some sellers that ive done business with in the FBBO forum ask me to send funds F&F and the answer is always NO ......Add the 3% and I will add it to the price no problem
Friends and family is fine if you are a trusted seller, I’ve been here since 2006 and have had nothing but good transactions (except for 1 where I bought parts and got rusty worthless Barracuda parts from deadbeat member) I have had 100’s maybe even1,000’s of deals made here on FABO wether it’s selling or buying. On Facebook you do need to be more careful with who you can trust, I’ve had plenty of people want to buy parts from me and if I think something doesn’t feel it look right I’ll pass on it...plenty of scammers out there! I just sold a bunch of stuff here the last few weeks and it’s all been friends and family, even some of the items I bought were the same way...heck a couple members even sent me the parts before I got a shipping total and price from them!!

As far as the OP, check where it was sent to, has the payment been “claimed or unclaimed?” You should be able to reverse it if you got it wrong, I’ve done it plenty of times and also had the money not show up in my funds due to people not typing my info down right. I always check my PayPal/email to see if the payment went through and let the person know, if it doesn’t show up then you need to contact them. I just sold something to a member here last week, he said he sent the payment but I never got an email which was odd, so I just waited a few more days to see if he got busy. Turns out he sent the payment when he said he did, and it was in my PayPal but just didn’t show up in my email, he bought some other stuff from me the week earlier but I got an email notification for that. One thing I always do too as I take a screenshot of my funds or payment sent and I send that to the seller as an extra step showing he should have money. One time I did that and he noticed that I typed the address in wrong so I stopped the payment and corrected it, sure was handy do you know that right away.

Last edited:
Isn't there an income tax implication now if you use "sales transaction" for the seller? I'm not clear on that.

There always has been, you’ve always been required to report sales as income.

Nowadays though if you go over $600 of sales in a year you’ll get a 1099 from PayPal, which is also reported to the IRS. So you either have to claim it or explain why it’s not income. Like if you sold a part you bought earlier you can deduct the cost of the part because only the difference is profit.

But if someone won’t accept a sales transaction, which has purchase protection, because they’re trying to dodge their taxes too I think that’s pretty telling of the kind of person you’re dealing with anyway.

Well, to put this posting to bed, so to speak, it all turns out to be my "F" up, because i had Pay Pal send to the wrong individual that doesn't have his middle name, initial, in his e mail address.
So i hafta admit to my 113 dollar error, and just move on from here.
Making a mistake such as i did, by not putting a letter into an address over the internet, in this modern day and age, sure can be a costly mistake.
Thank's to everyone that read this mess of mine, and replied.
Jim V.
hemi71x

I'm glad you didn't hang the guy on circumstantial evidence. :thumbsup:
Some here get the rope before hearing all the facts.

Well, to put this posting to bed, so to speak, it all turns out to be my "F" up, because i had Pay Pal send to the wrong individual that doesn't have his middle name, initial, in his e mail address.
Making a mistake such as i did, by not putting a letter into an address over the internet, in this modern day and age, sure can be a costly mistake.
Jim V.
hemi71x
Some folks deliberately use this tactic. Contact you with an e-mail address or link so close to the original that most people miss it. When you look at a long address, W looks aweful close to VV:(

Friends and family is fine if you are a trusted seller, I’ve been here since 2006 and have had nothing but good transactions (except for 1 where I bought parts and got rusty worthless Barracuda parts from deadbeat member) I have had 100’s maybe even1,000’s of deals made here on FABO wether it’s selling or buying. On Facebook you do need to be more careful with who you can trust, I’ve had plenty of people want to buy parts from me and if I think something doesn’t feel it look right I’ll pass on it...plenty of scammers out there! I just sold a bunch of stuff here the last few weeks and it’s all been friends and family, even some of the items I bought were the same way...heck a couple members even sent me the parts before I got a shipping total and price from them!!

As far as the OP, check where it was sent to, has the payment been “claimed or unclaimed?” You should be able to reverse it if you got it wrong, I’ve done it plenty of times and also had the money not show up in my funds due to people not typing my info down right. I always check my PayPal/email to see if the payment went through and let the person know, if it doesn’t show up then you need to contact them. I just sold something to a member here last week, he said he sent the payment but I never got an email which was odd, so I just waited a few more days to see if he got busy. Turns out he sent the payment when he said he did, and it was in my PayPal but just didn’t show up in my email, he bought some other stuff from me the week earlier but I got an email notification for that. One thing I always do too as I take a screenshot of my funds or payment sent and I send that to the seller as an extra step showing he should have money. One time I did that and he noticed that I typed the address in wrong so I stopped the payment and corrected it, sure was handy do you know that right away.
I appreciate your reply and its very informative. However, ive seen many a business deal, friendship go south over money.
There is always the possibility of something happening, lost parts, damaged parts, lost funds, anything and someone comes up on the loosing end. Now of course you are a trusted seller and id have to assume that if a buyer wants to do business to business and is willing to include the 3% mark up, you wouldn't object
Case in point was a $500 plus trunk finish panel I bought from a member on the B Forum. He had a dozen of these panels and I bought one of the last ones. Every panel he sold I believe was to forum members with no problems
He asked me to send funds F&F and I told him no, add extra charge and I will gladly pay it and he obliged
The panel came and it was everything I hoped for, however I, him or both of us got very lucky
These panels are easily damaged and the way this guy wrapped it was piss poor, unless you think cutting the top of a soda bottle and using that at the end of the panel is ok. Besides that it was just boxed terrible. Put it in a sturdy box, bubble wrap it, thats not hard, add that into the price.
I was pissed off but happy I got it damage free but what if I didnt? What than? My word, his word, returning shipping, me depending on him to do the right thing?
No thanks. Unless I know a seller personally I will stick with B&B

Jim V.
hemi71x
Now hang on. Even though it was friends and family, Paypal SHOULD help with this. You sent it to the wrong person. They should step in and correct that. That's not "buyer protection", that just righting a wrong.

Last edited:
I'm glad you didn't hang the guy on circumstantial evidence. :thumbsup:
Some here get the rope before hearing all the facts.
That's true. Also true is some on here don't even own a rope when they need one.

Now hang on. Even though it was friends and family, Paypal SHOULD help with this. You sent it to the wrong person. They should step in and correct that. That's not "buyer protection", that just righting a wrong.
That's exactly one of the things that i tried to get thru with the Pay Pal representative that i was talking to.
I wasn't trying to commit any fraud, or wrong doing, i just made a mistake on my part, and had payment sent to the wrong person.
The rep was insistent since the transaction was already completed and payment was in that guys account, case closed.
Even though it was my screw up.
I did write the person that got the money, if he would do the right thing, and put the money back into my account, but i'm not going to hold my breath on that.
He got a winning lottery ticket from me, so to speak, a complete stranger.

Last edited:
If it were me, id send the money back in a heartbeat

Now, if it was a couple thousand it might be worth my while

I had this happen to me. paypal is having issues. They sent me my money back.

That's exactly one of the things that i tried to get thru with the Pay Pal representative that i was talking to.
I wasn't trying to commit any fraud, or wrong doing, i just made a mistake on my part, and had payment sent to the wrong person.
The rep was insistent since the transaction was already completed and payment was in that guys account, case closed.
Even though it was my screw up.
I did write the person that got the money, if he would do the right thing, and put the money back into my account, but i'm not going to hold my breath on that.
He got a winning lottery ticket from me, so to speak, a complete stranger.
If that got into my account, you'd have your money back. I know that doesn't help....

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
GOOD NEWS, for a Sunday morning, when clicking on my computer.
The John S. that doesn't use his middle initial in his e mail address, the wrong person that Pay Pal went too, send me the money back into my Pay Pal account.
So the $113.00 is there for me to spend, this time correctly to the correct person.
Believe me, i am a very happy camper this morning.
Now to go over to the super market and do my grocery shopping, and spend some $$$$$ over there.
Thank's to all for your tips, patience, understanding, with me in my problem.
It worked out well.
Jim V.
hemi71x

Last edited:
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
GOOD NEWS, for a Sunday morning, when clicking on my computer.
The John S. that doesn't use his middle initial in his e mil address, the wrong person that Pay Pal went too, send me the money back into my Pay Pal account.
So the $113.00 is there for me to spend, this time correctly to the correct person.
Believe me, i am a very happy camper this morning.
Now to go over to the super market and do my grocery shopping, and spend some $$$$$over there.
Thank's to all for your tips, patience, understanding, with me in my problem.
It worked out well.
Jim V.
hemi71x
Well how bout that. A little faith in humanity restored.

-
Back