GG's 66 GT

-

GGs66GT

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
We ordered it new back in Nov. 1965 for my Mom. Took deliver Dec. 22nd. 1965 just in time for christmas.

It's a '66 GT white with a black and white interior. radio,P/S, A/C, Auto., \6, 7.00x13" wsw tires and full wheel covers.

In 1975 I had it repainted Yellow and White and replaced the white seat inserts with yellow for my mom.

It finally came to me in the mid 80's .

I replaced the front seats and steering wheel with a set from a '84 Daytona and added 235/60Rx14 tires on sbp 14x5.5 steelies.

I made a custom set of wheel covers from a late '60's Ply. and Western Wheel center caps.

The best bang for the buck for performance I did was to install a 2 1/4" exhaust system. With the right muffler & back pressure it really wakes up the mid and top end.

Currently it looks like the photos but has no brakes and is non op.

Today I dug out my 8 1/4" rear axle and took it to my rear end guy
for a gear change and limited slip install. This is the start of the drive train/brake/suspension upgrade.

I'll have to sneak in the harvesting of parts from my donor '78 Cordoba.
Engine & Trans, driveshaft, spindles, rotors, calipers,wheels and some other stuff.

This will be a long drawn out project as it will have to wait for the completion on my current '57 GMC project thats in the garage now.

The Plan is make it stop, steer and handle with precision. First with a refreshed performance \6 and at some point in time maybe a hot V-8.

Attachments

• 278.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 279.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 280.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 281.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 284.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 139
Yes I know its not MOPAR but if your interested read on...

Here's the current project in the garage. Its getting a new chassis and power train and going from 4x4 to 2x4.

Well when the wife needs a step ladder to get in & out that changed my mind.

The goal :
1. Reduce the total weight to under 4000# to cut the weight fee the state saw fit to increase.
2. Give the wife easy access and be able to drive it.
3. Update the power train.
4. Reduce emissions and increase MPG.
5. Tow with it.
6. Make it user friendly.

The Theme :
1. Its 1959 and the truck is 2 years old and belongs to a Texaco station owner.
2. What he would have done to the trucks appearance then.

OK I know that the stuff the chassis has going on it wasn't around in 1959. Thats the beauty of hot rodding, you can blur the time line. So on that note if one doesn't look under the truck......

Here is what one will see :
Wide White Walls on 16x4.5" 6 lug Red 41 Chevy artillery wheels covered by the '41 hub caps that were around then, and now the blur they're Wheel Vintiques 15x7" & 15x8's 5 lug with BFG 215/70R15" & 235/70R15" wide whites from Coker via Jegs.

The engine and trans that I WAS going to install was what I had on hand a Chrysler 360 & A-500 Torq-Flite O/D Trans . I went so far as to set the trans in the chassis.

No limit supplied the front and rear suspension, Wide ride front and Fat Bar rear with Currie 9" all on Air Ride.

The more I thought about it the more I felt if I'm spending this kind of $ on the chassis why not update more then 20 years on the power train.

So a call to the local auto dismantler and I've got a complete 2005 Chevy 5.3 V-8 and 4L60E Trans with everything, wiring, computer, a/c, p/s, Rad., A/C Condenser, driveshaft, gas pedal & cable. If it was attached to the engine or trans I got it all for $2500.
I'll fab motor mounts and set the engine and trans and figure out what to use for headers. Then exhaust system, driveline, fuel lines, intank pump, EVap canister and line.

If your interested in following the build you can see it at http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/55-59-chevy-truck-owners-98267-119.html

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/55-59-chevy-truck-owners-98267-120.html

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/55-59-chevy-truck-owners-98267-151.html

Look for G&R's57GMC

Attachments

• 57 LF 1:4 view2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 132
Nice dart and with a family history. I like those old GMC trucks and will check out your build thread on it.

-
Back