Gilmer pulleys

-

tarvin890

tarvin890
Reaction score
Im thinking about this addition to my Big block. Has anyone tried them, installed them? bolt on goodness or pain in the ***? pics if you have them on your engine if you have used would be nice to see also.....

Attachments

• $_1.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 195
I had a set on a big block chevy they were junk coundnt keep the pulleys from eating belts, I think it would be wasted money to buy, get a set of march pulleys.

I had a set on a 440. The alternator has to be beyond perfect lined up. I knew they were a pain going in and made the decison to make them work no matter what. They look cool and sound cool. They put me on the side of the road more than once. If your going to be dedicated to them,order an extra belt up front. They fray and stretch real easy. You'll think you've got em lined up and yu'll still fray a belt, turn it up over 4 grand and it'll launch the belt. Carry a 5/16 allen wrench also.
Neal.

I had a set on a 440. The alternator has to be beyond perfect lined up. I knew they were a pain going in and made the decison to make them work no matter what. They look cool and sound cool. They put me on the side of the road more than once. If your going to be dedicated to them,order an extra belt up front. They fray and stretch real easy. You'll think you've got em lined up and yu'll still fray a belt, turn it up over 4 grand and it'll launch the belt. Carry a 5/16 allen wrench also.
Neal.

All truth.

Will be loud too.

My understanding is the belt teeth & the pulley teeth have to be contoured. If you look closely at some, the teeth are at right angles. This causes a sharp contact point as the belt spins, resulting in the noise & fast wear of the belt. Think of them as saw teeth interlocking & you'll get the idea. Some manufacturers, Cragar was one I think, contoured the belts to increase longevity. leaving the pulley side of it up to the end-user.
I suppose you could contour the pulley teeth yourself & go look for a proper belt. Or simply ask the manufacturer if he's done it already.

-
Back