Glass polishing report on a product I purchased.

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
For the price I thought I would give this a try and it works really well for light scratching and hazing from wipers on the glass.
9Pcs Glass Polishing Kit Scrach Remover 8OZ Cerium Oxide Powder 3'' Wheel Pad US | eBay

The Wife's 72 Dart had an annoying haze arc where the wipers ran on the glass and this kit got it out in about an hour.
I have looked into cerium oxide a few times finding that by the time I bought the compound and the recommended type polishing attachments it wasn't cheap.
Then someone here suggested this kit, and it comes with good quality felt pads and attaching details.
It worked great, though it is a bit messy as I expected and only needed about 1 ounce of the 8oz of compound to do the whole windshield.
Of course it is really only for light marring or scratches that you can't catch a fingernail on but still.
15-16 bucks shipped for the entire set was a whole lot better that 30-40 bucks just for the compound and a polish pad for the drill.

Last edited:
I bought the same kit a few weeks ago after reading that thread as well. I haven't done mine yet but hope to either this winter or after car is painted and windshield is reinstalled. Do you recommend doing it before installation of windshield or after. I hate to have to push on windshield out of car and also worried about the pads grabbing and knocking it to ground while out. Your thoughts?
Thanks Rod

Did you use a drill or a angle grinder, what RPM?

I bought the same kit a few weeks ago after reading that thread as well. I haven't done mine yet but hope to either this winter or after car is painted and windshield is reinstalled. Do you recommend doing it before installation of windshield or after. I hate to have to push on windshield out of car and also worried about the pads grabbing and knocking it to ground while out. Your thoughts?
Thanks Rod

I think it would be a lot safer to do in the car, but the cleaning up after will be a bit of a job as it kind of goes everywhere.
On the car I did a water rinse and a towel cleaned it off easily, just took some time to get it out of the nooks and crannies.

Did you use a drill or a angle grinder, what RPM?

I used a variable speed drill wide open and a spray bottle of water to keep the compound wet.
The water also helps keep the glass cooler also, since you don't want a lot of heat buildup localized on the glass or it could shatter.

I think it would be a lot safer to do in the car, but the cleaning up after will be a bit of a job as it kind of goes everywhere.
On the car I did a water rinse and a towel cleaned it off easily, just took some time to get it out of the nooks and crannies.

I used a variable speed drill wide open and a spray bottle of water to keep the compound wet.
The water also helps keep the glass cooler also, since you don't want a lot of heat buildup localized on the glass or it could shatter.

Hello,
I purchased the e bay kit,, it has the compound, pads,,, but no instructions.

did you use plain water to make the compound?
about how watery or thick,, guessing one would want it thinner than toothpaste, but thick enough to not run off?
any other tips?

thanks

Hello,
I purchased the e bay kit,, it has the compound, pads,,, but no instructions.

did you use plain water to make the compound?
about how watery or thick,, guessing one would want it thinner than toothpaste, but thick enough to not run off?
any other tips?

thanks

Well lets see.
Try to do it in a shaded cool area so the compound stays wet longer.
Mix is supposed to be with plain water and resemble something like you say, thick enough to not just run off but wet enough to move it around with the spinning pad.
I would have to guess I used pressure equal to what a gallon of water weighs using the 3" pad in a drill.
Trying to keep the flat of the pad flat on the glass is pretty much impossible, so use the edge of the pad and slightly overlap your last pass as you go.
Some places said to try and make a dam around the area so you don't loose your compound but I just used the spin of the pad to return the compound to where I wanted it. (still kinda goes everywhere no matter what)
Cover a wide area on the glass to keep down the possible waves in the surface that can cause distortion when looking through it.
This is easy to do by simply following a pattern over and over again.
I would work side to side top to bottom of the glass a few times then change to an up and down pattern across the glass for uniformity, and did half the front window at a time.
Keep the compound semi wet with a spray bottle of water, and don't spend so much time in one area as to overheat the glass.
This is easy to tell by feeling it, but doing a large area I didn't have a problem with the glass getting hot.
Stop rinse and dry about every 15 min to check progress.

That's about it.
It makes a mess anyway no matter how you do it, but washes off well with a terrycloth towel and water.

Same here @6pk2goDemon! Santa brought me the kit also. Can't wait until Spring to get outside and use it.

I'm hoping to try it in the next few weeks :) I have several scratched areas on my original windshield that could use some help.

Thinking that a 90* angle drill would work best? Does anyone have an opinion on that versus a straight drill or ?

Same here @6pk2goDemon! Santa brought me the kit also. Can't wait until Spring to get outside and use it.

I'm hoping to try it in the next few weeks :) I have several scratched areas on my original windshield that could use some help.

Thinking that a 90* angle drill would work best? Does anyone have an opinion on that versus a straight drill or ?

It's looking like Santa might own stock in that glass polish kit.:D

C, I think a 90 drill could work as in it might be easier to hold onto while doing it.
Worth a try anyway.

TB...do you think that paste will work better than using say a clay bar???

I need to do my windshield and was going to try a clay bar but any time I can use a power tool rather than hand work I'm all in for that.

Just don't want to jack up a 45 year old windshield.

TB...do you think that paste will work better than using say a clay bar???

I need to do my windshield and was going to try a clay bar but any time I can use a power tool rather than hand work I'm all in for that.

Just don't want to jack up a 45 year old windshield.

I don't have any experience with the clay bars, so I have nothing to compare too.
The only real question I would have is what would do the actual polishing after the clay.
Also since glass is somewhat tougher than paint it could take forever unless maybe the clay on a pad with a drill or something like that.
I know I wouldn't try it on my original 45 year old glass first if I didn't have another glass standing by.:D

I finally did some polishing on my windshield yesterday using the kit my wife got me for Christmas. I'm pretty sure the windshield is original and it had lots of swirls to the point it was difficult to see with the sun shining directly in your face.

The job is messy for sure! But it worked like a charm. The swirls are gone. Most of the very small scratches are gone and now the larger scratches show even better. I spent maybe an hour on it and will do another polish sometime soon. Hopefully I can get more out on the second round.

I didn't think to get a before or during picture, but here's an after pic along with the kit my wife bought me.

Windshield polish.jpg

I bought the same kit around christmas as well and will be giving it a shot in the next month or so. Im not sure what the condition is on my windshield since I have never driven the car! Ill try to remember before and after pics when I do the polish.
Rod

Another pass with cerium oxide today. When I did it last year a lot of swirls came out but not all. My shoulders and arms are killing me, so hopefully more swirls are gone!
FB_IMG_1557166492573.jpg

-
Back