Glove box latch?

-

Crazy4408pac

N. Michigan
Reaction score
When I got my 72 Swinger, all the stuff for the glove box was in a box, in the trunk. After I installed the new liner, I installed the hinge and mounted the door. Put the latch in and closed it up. I could feel it latch, but not all the way. If I lightly pulled on the upper part of the door, it fell open. As I was taking the mechanism back out, I noticed that the knob just turned. Either way, 360. I don't think that's correct.
Is this fixable? I know no one re pops them. Here's a pic.
Thanks

Attachments

• glvbox.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 305
The ring has been pulled out with the knob when someone may have pryed the knob out when removing it from the glove box door instead of using a pick to depress a spring loaded tab to remove the knob. It could have worked its way out but that small thin ring is sinched in there pretty tight normally.

Pointed out is the ring I'm talking about. I have had half and half luck in getting that ring back into the housing.

Attachments

• latch.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 262
Sorry I lost sight of this thread...

The ring actually is to be part of the locks housing not the knob part of the lock.... will take some pix tonight and post them here for you.

that thin almost flat ring belongs cinched (pressed/fastened tightly) into the body of the latch... pointed at it in the first picture. In the second picture is the lock tumblers which if not held down with a dental pick (or similar tool) when removing the lock knob and assembly will pull out that ring. As I mentioned that ring may be able to be put back where it belongs but I have only had a 50/50 luck with that.

View attachment IMG_0004.jpg

View attachment IMG_0005.jpg

Thank for the pix. I took some two part epoxy (looks like a double needle) and ran a very thin bead around the base of the knob. That stopped it from spinning. For the ring(Bushing), I took some of my engraving tools. Very small hammer, forming plates, etc. And carefully reshaped it until it would fit into the housing. Put a scant amount of locktite on it and pressed it back in. Soaked the mechanism in WD 40, over night. Reassembled it and re-installed it in the glove box door. Works perfectly

-
Back