glove box lock

-

mopops

Reaction score
my lock does not have the tabs to depress so i can get the lock out. i want to use my old lock n key for a new door help please gjg

HOW TO -- Glove Box Latch Removal

Here are the steps when dealing with a keyed lock:

1) Close the latch, and lock it with the key.
2) Remove the key
3) Access the silver pin through the access hole as per the thread and depress it.
4) Pull the silver glove box knob outward with the pin depressed. It will only pull out a little bit with the key removed, but enough for the silver pin to clear the shoulder of the tube.
5) With the silver pin outside of the tube, Replace the key into the lock. This will cause all of the brass lock tumblers to depress allowing you to pull the complete assembly the rest of the way out of the tube.

**Note**

1) If the lock is NOT in the locked position, the silver pin does not line up with the access hole.
2) If the key is in, the silver pin CANNOT be depressed to clear the shoulder.
3) If the key is out, the brass lock tumblers will NOT clear the shoulder of the tube

Hope this helps.

2) Remove the key
3) Access the silver pin through the access hole as per the thread and depress it.
4) Pull the silver glove box knob outward with the pin depressed. It will only pull out a little bit with the key removed, but enough for the silver pin to clear the shoulder of the tube.
5) With the silver pin outside of the tube, Replace the key into the lock. This will cause all of the brass lock tumblers to depress allowing you to pull the complete assembly the rest of the way out of the tube.

**Note**

1) If the lock is NOT in the locked position, the silver pin does not line up with the access hole.
3) If the key is out, the brass lock tumblers will NOT clear the shoulder of the tube

Hope this helps.
ok that worked i got the new one apart but the lock i want to replace has no key , do i just drill it or is their a way to release it?

2) Remove the key

**Note**that worked - i have no key for the lock i want to replace. can i get this apart with out destroying it or drill it do you drill in to the key hole? tks for the help

Hope this helps.

I assume that the one you are now trying to get apart is junk? If so, insert your new key into the old lock. You'll notice that some of the brass tumblers are up, and some are down. The ones that are up are the ones that keep the lock from functioning as it should. If it is scrap, file down the high tumblers to flush and your new key will work in the old latch. Do the disassembly process as outlined before, pitch the old lock, install the new one in reverse order as disassembly and your done.

I assume that the one you are now trying to get apart is junk? If so, insert your new key into the old lock. You'll notice that some of the brass tumblers are up, and some are down. The ones that are up are the ones that keep the lock from functioning as it should. If it is scrap, file down the high tumblers to flush and your new key will work in the old latch. Do the disassembly process as outlined before, pitch the old lock, install the new one in reverse order as disassembly and your done.
ok ill just get the old no key out n in with the new tks for all the help

-
Back