Glovebox latch removal

-

superjarheadt

Reaction score
So I was taking apart my dash yesterday in order to clean it up and decide what todo with it and when I came to the glovebox door I couldn't get the latch removed. Anyone know how to remove it?
BTW its a 73 Duster

On the bottom of the inside latch, nearest the door itself, you can see some cutouts in the lock cylinder..........You need to stick a small tool (paper clip end, bent a little) into the furthermost portion of that cylinder opening, and you'll depress a little cylinder lock.....it's just a small piece of spring loaded steel about 3/16" wide sticking up slightly in the slot ............

Depress it with the paper clip (even if it seems like you're depressing nothing), and pull the cylinder out at the same time.

In case anyone stumbles across this post, I have 2 additions. My Duster latch has a very small hole in the front of the knob into which I inserted a small paperclip. Once I depressed the little sping mentioned here, the paper clip slid in and kept the spring from popping back out. This gave me the freedom to wiggle stuff around. Also try searching for "glove box latch removal" instead of "glovebox" and most of the post have links with pictures of the procedure.

-
Back