Glowing red #4&6 exhaust header pipes

-

Handy Andy

Reaction score
Hi guys,I am in the middle of breaking in the 416 stroker in the barracuda today,however i have a slight problem in that the number 4 and 6 exhaust is glowing red in about 4 minutes at 2500 rpm's.I tried advancing the timing and have the same problem,I do have a hydraulic cam with pro-magnum roller rockers,if i re-adjust the preload on the lifters do you guy's think this will resolve the issue.I think these two exhaust valves are hanging open?Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am also running a 750/3310 holley with a proform mainbody,what jet size would be recommended for the 416,as the carb was working great on the 340.an input would be great!

You may have a couple lifters that are not primed up yet.

You will need to fatten the carb up, sounds like it is running way lean. If the exhaust valves were hanging open you would know that as 4 and 6 Wouldn't be making power and the engine would run like crap.

lean or an intake leak . too much oxygen turns cylinders into cutting torch scenario

I'd pull the plugs and take a look. What intake are you running? Percys has a neat dial-a-jet deal that lets you basically do away with the pick-a-jet game and just fatten/lean your carb reall easy. Supposed to work awesome. Me likey! Good Luck http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PHP-15001/
Im running the m1 single plane with a half inch birchwood spacer,i'll pull the plug's in the morning.

start with 74's on the primary and 82's on the secondary if only 1 power valve is used, if both, 74's primary/secondary.

you are vac leaking like crazy to have only 2 tubes red hot!!

btw my 340 with 750 only likes 71-73 which is within 4 jets from stock, consider the carb is too small if it takes more than 4 jets bigger than stock to get the mixture right.

I would have put a 830-850 cfm carb on it.jmo

I'll pull the plug's,pull the carb birchwood spacer and check it with a straight edge,and recheck the firing order.It sounds like all the lifter preload is fine as the is no valve train noise.

-
Back