Go wing color

-

Dartswinger70

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to repaint a go-wing does anyone have any ideas on color and texture of paint? the ones I've seen at shows seem to be satin or flat black,mine has an old metal-flake blue that has to come off.I will be putting it on a plum crazy car with black top and stripes,so I will need the correct texture as original

Ryan,
Apparently, no one on this board has a "go-wing". I didn't see your question until after I had posted mine about an aftermarket spoiler I bought my son for his Dart Sport. I have no idea what texture was used on the original ones, but this one we have seems a bit too rough. Maybe someone who knows our answers will eventually chime in.

Good luck,
Jerry

And as for texture??
Is it supposed to be finished slick, or does it have a severe orange peel appearance? This aftermarket one I have is sold by First Place Auto Parts and is extremely dimpled.

Just wondering,
Jerry

The wings I have seen seemed to be smooth,or a slight texture.Dont recall a dimpled texture.

According to the First Place Auto Parts web site the color is Black Suede Organsol Black. I would call them as they may have the paint and can tell you what texture it should be.

Fred B

73DartSport340 said:
No idea to be honest.

On your numbers matching car, is that an original go-wing, or did you add an aftermarket? What does its finish look like? Not the paint, but rather the actual surface of the spoiler.

I plan on calling FPAP, but that's a little bit like asking a fox to watch your hen house. They sell it the way it came to me... "ready for installation", but I would like to know what they really looked like from someone who has one.

By the way, Ryan, I didn't mean to jack this thread from you, but it seemed like my questions fell in line with what you are asking.

Jerry

the texture on the 70 style wing ( squared off look ) is not smooth. it is very slightly dimpled. the 71 style wing ( gull wing ) is smooth. color is somewhere between flat and satin.

I believe the factory originals were done in Organisol Black.
Due to the high VOC content of that paint, that stuff is no longer available from the paint manufacturers (you can thank your friendly neighborhood environmentalist for that one) and the cross codes to the newer stuff don't come out exactly the same or as nice from what I can see.
IF its not an original restoration, I'd go with a flat or semi-satin black.
You can still find Organisol Black from some of the speciality dealers, but be prepared to open the checkbook. Fortunately, that stuff was lacquer-based and if stored properly, will last a verrry long time on the shelf. The Phord mustang boys are in the same boat as a variant of it was used on alot of the early mustangs too.

-
Back