Going from 4speed to 727 in 65 dart question

-

gtmopar

Phuckin A!
Reaction score
What do I need to do to my tranny tunnel to fit a 727? Do I have to do anything or will it fit without having to make my own new tunnel?

I believe it will fit without doing anything to the tunnel as I have two Signets, 1 - 4 speed and 1 727 and although the 4 speed car has a side hump, the dimensions are the same as far as I can see.

I've heard that you'll have to modify the firewall seam because it will saw through the bell housing.. I've seen it happen before actually. But every car is different.

you will have to snip and hammer the floor/fire wall seam flat, no big deal,,,i did it to a 66 cuda years ago,,,you may have to make a few dents in the floor/tunnel area,,and im not sure about the cross member in a 65 A body,,,it may need some attenton to the trans mount flange where the 2 bolts go thru to the tail shaft,,,

dont bother trying to find kick down linkage,,,just go with cable kick down,,much easier to adapt,,you can get it from a ram truck up till 2002 with a magnum motor,, or from lokar or bushlon

Remember the trans speedo cable design changed in 1966, so if you want to keep your speedo cable and speedometer you will need a 1965 transmission.

Is the speedo issue the gauge itself? The dash is going to have custom gauges so it should be ok right?is it just a calibration issue or different cable?

What motor ?
I ask because my '65 had a 727 in it and the installer ( previous owner ) used a small brain and a large hammer.
I had to weld patches in the floor where the seam used to be.
You will need to clearance the tunnel at the seam and there are a couple ways to go about it.
I might consider removing the seam and welding sheet metal on the top side to close it up.
A 904 is a much better option if you are going small block.
They will hold up and don't have the forward drum issues like a 727.
Do some homework on the 904 and I think you will agree with me.
I have a few bucks into mine , but it will hold up to everything I plan on throwing at it ........ a 405 inch R-3 / W-9 motor that will be well north of 600 h.p. on E-85.

As the other have said the 727 requires the pinch weld to trimmed or removed for the 727, I switched to 904 because I didn't want to cut the pinch weld.

Cut the pinch weld and hammer it flat as mentioned. Mine is a 4spd car with a 727 in it and thats all I needed to do to make mine fit.

my 73 is a factory manual shift car and i have a 727 and i didnt have to do anything to it.

EDIT: i missed the 65 part LOL

do youself a favor before you even try to fit this combo notch the trans tunnel seam every couple of inches then hammer it over flat then it will fit fine i had to do this after trying sevaral times to put a 727 behind a 340 in my 65 dart wagon before it went in

-
Back