going out on a limb....

-

MoparDaddy

Damn Right I Carry!
Reaction score
ok. B-bodies want the help i needed. as some of you know, i bought Cliffs 78 cordoba. what im wanting to do is replace the shock absorber style bumper mounts with something solid that weighs less. push comes to shove, Cliff gave me the idea to drill a hole in them and drain the fluid. That however, wont shave as much weight as i would like. Anyone here able to help me out?

DobaDaddy , the weight is not in the bumper absorbers themselves but in the inner structure of the bumper itself. i have manhandled these bumpers on and off many times and the bumper mounts are really not heavy.what you should do is take the bumper off,(im assuming you mean the front one) and seperate the inner structure from the outer chrome section ,and cut off all the excess metal leaving only the sections that bolt from the body mounts to the chrome part of the bumper.those things weigh a ton ! thats why i run mine with the bumper off. this summer i am going to have a fiberglass front and rear made.just a thought.......

this is the backside of the bumper where it mounts to the absorber(one side). this entire inside structure piece is made of 3/16 inch thick steel and is almost the size of the bumper itself. we have cut just this section out on both sides, so that it will still bolt to bumper and leaving this part to bolt to the body.i bet it would shed close to 50+ lbs off of the front.the rear bumper is designed the same way and you could to the same to it. if you were to hit anything,the bumper would give much easier.

Attachments

• br.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 178
On my 78 Magnum enduro, circle track car I cut out most of the inner bumper structure leaving only the bumper mount area like 73abodee suggested. It does weaken the bumper significantly, I folded up several while racing... For the shock part I cut off the mounts and used 2 1/2" exhaust pipe to replace it... Worked great...

thats a good idea with the pipe dodge! i already know to cut up the structure. im just trying to put the car on the biggest diet possible while still keeping it safe to drive

-
Back