Going with QA1 uppers and have question

-

Fittrjoe

Reaction score
Hi Mopar folks.
My 67 Barracuda is getting some much needed suspension upgrades and I need help.
My front wheels are the small bolt 5x4 and the brakes are now disc brakes, car was originally drum. Not sure when brakes were swapped so no history.
I dont know if spindles are small or large Upper Ball Joints. ( 67-72 0r 73-76 ) and I need to know.
Question--- does the fact that I have small bolt pattern mean I have SBJ spindles.? Trying to confirm.

QA 1 makes UCA for both and I wanna make sure I get the right one.

Thanks

Do you have single piston or 4 piston calipers? Big ball joint is 1/2" ish in diameter and small is about half that

4 piston Kelsey Hayes
I measured the rod on bottom of BJ and its 1/2"
Wow looks like I have Big BJ if you are correct

BBJ 1-59/64
SBJ 1-29/32 (1.809)

note that these are "square" heads, so you *can* squeak by with a standard fractional socket (sometimes!), it's best to use the right tool for the right job.

small upper can be found under American Muscle AMM23456 and the large upper is AMM23457. importantly, these are 1/2" drive units. most other BJ sockets will be 3/4" drive.

i have a proto 6549 L for the small. there are others but you can pick these up on ebay cheap.

The threads measure 1/2 or so for big and 3/8 for small. The castle nut on the big ball joint should take a 7/8” socket

Please see pics of my current Upper BJ
Rod dia is 7/16 ---3/8 nut is too small and 1/2" nut too big
The nut on top measures 1 -13/16 or possibly 25/32

Anyone?
Large or small ?

IMG_8983 (1).jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

-
Back